Menu
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 81 of 89
Flag for a moderator

Re: No service abroad

Hi Jam1e,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. Sorry to hear you've had no service in multiple countries.

I'll send you a private message to see if I can get to the bottom of this for you. To view this click on the purple envelope on the top right.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 82 of 89
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jam1e,

Thanks for your contact via private message.

Following a network refresh I'd like you to now restart the handset. It should connect to the network automatically but sometimes a manual search and select is needed (Google how to do this if you're not sure).

If you want to use your data allowance abroad then you need to make sure data roaming is active on the handset itself. The basic instructions for doing this can be found here.

If your data still doesn't work then you just need to update the APN settings of the handset. You can enter them manually by looking here or you can select your handset from the list here and you'll get the update directly.

Has this worked?

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 83 of 89
Flag for a moderator

@crusty

From the screenshots you've posted, it looks like you have a Motorola G?

These are the APN settings which have worked fine for my Moto G4 while in Belgium and France connected to Orange, SFR, & Bouygues Telecom. With a bit of luck they may help you out.

Screenshot_20170914-161640.pngScreenshot_20170914-161649.pngScreenshot_20170914-161721.png

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
crusty
On our wavelength
Message 84 of 89
Flag for a moderator

Hi Teabag,

Thanks for that, you're right I have a Moto G4. Interesting that a * in the APN type works for you, I'll keep that in mind. Rich B has advised it should be Internet + MMS so I'll try both and see what happens.

I may be in France again next week so I'll post bacj her with the results.

Thanks again.

teabag
Problem sorter
Message 85 of 89
Flag for a moderator

Just thinking it maybe best to make a new APN with those settings to try, rarther than keep editing existing ones which are not working :-)
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 86 of 89
Flag for a moderator

crusty wrote:

Hi Teabag,

Thanks for that, you're right I have a Moto G4. Interesting that a * in the APN type works for you, I'll keep that in mind. Rich B has advised it should be Internet + MMS so I'll try both and see what happens.

I may be in France again next week so I'll post bacj her with the results.

Thanks again.

Normally on Android phones, the APN Type would be set as Internet + MMS if they are selectable from a drop down menu - if the keyboard comes up, a "*" would be used instead which covers all.

crusty
On our wavelength
Message 87 of 89
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rich,

OK, I'll try it again. 

It may be worth noting that I got the settings from the link you posted - Here - which don't give the APN type, it stops at Authentication type. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Palazzo
On our wavelength
Message 88 of 89
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Thought I'd add my thoughts and a question as I know what a pain it is getting the APN settings right.

All the family have OnePlus phones running Oxygen OS (Their variant of Android).

My wife's and my APN settings, which did work in Norway in July match those in the help page here, except I have:

Authentication Type: Not Set (This seems to be what came with the APN setting from Virgin, as "Not Set" is not an option when editing)
APN Type: default,supl,mms (I can see there's a few websites suggesting this setting, so I must have got this from earlier searches.)
APN protocol: IPV4
APN Roaming Protocol: IPv4

I'd note that these settings did not work on my Daughter's OnePlus X phone a few weeks ago., also in Norway, but there were problems with the Virgin account settings management for her account at that time which may have meant she was blocked.

My question is, can VM provide a link for sending APN settings for OnePlus Oxygen based handsets on this page (Surely they must be more common that some of the really obscure phones there Smiley Happy )?

0 Kudos
mujib
Joining in
Message 89 of 89
Flag for a moderator

i am having the issue, where I am unable to register to a local network. I get the message ""your sim card does not allow connections to this network", regardless of which network operator I select. I am in Saudi Arabia and have tried everything possible. Switching the phone on/off, selecting network manually. I even called customer service twice, where the person told me they have refreshed the roaming service. It's been 2 days and still no luck.

it seems Virgin's Philippines customer services is just plain useless when trying to get things done. I have 4 mobile lines and a complete virgin media package yet the customer service experience is appalling.

can anyone help me to get connected to the network,

0 Kudos