Menu
On our wavelength
Message 41 of 88 (573 Views)

Re: No service abroad

stublee wrote:

Just look at the thousands of views on posts on this topic and would love to hear from anyone who isn't experiencing problems using their phones abroad !

Well like I said above - I was experiencing problems and I started my own "Help me fix this" thread as well as posting in this "Why doesnt this work" thread as well.

Rich_B replied to my "Help me fix this" thread and PMd me. My issue was fixed within 24 hours. After that I had no issues with using my phone abroad.

Might be worth starting your own thread highlighting your problem and see if a VM rep reads it and can help you out. Might be more likely than one of them picking your post out of a complaint thread.

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 42 of 88 (561 Views)

I have been PM'd as well and informed that all appeared to be in order for roaming but they were resetting things etc. anyway . My point is that why do we have to post here and have to wait for a PM  to sort things  which can take up to a week anyway ? No one seems to have any luck with phoning the helpline anyway . Why can't VM  be proactive and address the issue beforehand ?  Too late when people return from their hols ! Has VM given a credible reason yet why they are the only service provider who seem to be having this problem ?   Are you confident that you will not have issues again in the future ?   I am not so sure and don't really want to wait to find out on my next trip ! 

On our wavelength
Message 43 of 88 (555 Views)

BTW I did start my own thread and also PM'd a team member - took 4 days to receive a reply !

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 44 of 88 (554 Views)

I agree with you. You have enough to worry about when you go on your holidays without worrying if your phone will work. I had money to transfer and confidential emails to look through and was informed that I should find my nearest open WiFi!!!!!
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 45 of 88 (519 Views)

Same here.... Two years after this post and it still happens !!!! Come on Virgin !
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 46 of 88 (464 Views)

Absolutely shocking service in trying to get a phone working in France.
Having twice gone through the front end CSR I'm told that I cannot be connected to technical services as they are not customer responsive. No sh!t Sherlock.
Also seems to be a tactic that when CSR has had enough & been through their script - they offer to connect you to a 'special' agent & then after listening to musak for an eternity, the call simply disconnects.
Hence from their perspective, problem solved.
My wife is on EE and has no problems making/ receiving calls etc.
Definitely a Virgin Mobile issue which they cannot be bothered to sort.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Message 47 of 88 (465 Views)

Hi All,

Sorry for the roaming issues you've experienced. I appreciate you were expecting more from the Roam Like Home service.

There are only three things this could be and if you follow them in order then I'm pretty confident this will work for you all.

Data roaming is a separate option on our system that can be reset if needed. If you call the team, please specify that you want data roaming activated and they'll do this for you. A restart of the handset is needed after this.

If you want to use your UK data allowance abroad then you need to make sure data roaming is active on the handset too. The basic instructions for doing this can be found here.

If your data still doesn't work then you just need to update the APN settings of the handset. You can enter them manually by looking here or you can select your handset from the list here and you'll get the update directly.

These steps have worked for many people I've helped (see here for one example). If anyone is going abroad again in the next week or two, and would like their data roaming checked, then you can call the team on 789 from a Virgin Mobile or 0345 6000 789 from any other line.

Hope this information helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 48 of 88 (462 Views)

Thanks but all settings on the phone are as you list.
Still no connection.
On our wavelength
Message 49 of 88 (456 Views)

I've been through all of this Rich,

I've been on the phone to CS while in France and roaming is definitely on in the account. Same with the handset and I've manually entered the APN settings, re=started etc. It still doesn't work. When I try to connect to Yahoo mail, for example, and it says "You are offline".  

CS rep said it may be being blocked by EU servers..? 

He did say he would get back to me but it's been nearly 2 weeks....

Angus.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Message 50 of 88 (434 Views)

Hi All,

Are you able to call and text? If so then roaming is working and you're not blocked on a network level. Whether Yahoo Mail is being blocked specifically I'm afraid I wouldn't know. If you can browse other sites but not Yahoo then it's working.

If you're not able to connect to a network for calls and texts then your roaming options are off and need to be reset. You can do that yourself by visiting your mobile account online.

Rather than adding the APN's manually, I'd recommend getting the update directly by selecting your handset here and following the instructions. Other people in France have been connecting fine after these changes (see here for an example).

Data and data roaming needs to be enabled on the handset as previously mentioned. After all these changes, a restart of the handset is a must.

The final recommendation would be to manually search and select each available network to try as there may be a local host problem with data. If you follow to the letter I can't see a reason why it wouldn't work as others have been fine.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos