Menu
Eviman42
On our wavelength
Message 31 of 89
Flag for a moderator

Re: No service abroad

In Spain at min no data for second year running. Tried everything nothing works getting a new phone when i get home on a different network. Customer service at Virgin useless
leonB
Joining in
Message 32 of 89
Flag for a moderator

Hello,

I am having the same problem. I guess it is a strategy from Virgin to cut costs now the EU has ditched the roaming costs..

Anyway, iPhone SE (upgraded after I could finally get 4G on Virgin) Tried everything as in this string of messages. Before I left, I re-checked and roaming is on via the website. Now in the Netherlands and I can call but I can't get access to mobile data. Tried 3 different providers, T-Mobile, Vodafone and KPN. Same problem. Reinitialised the network settings, same problem. Getting hopeless.

Anyone out there that can help me? Dean I have PM'ed you with my details. I hope that I can follow on from other people that you may seem to help

LeonB

Any1else
On our wavelength
Message 33 of 89
Flag for a moderator

Same with me in Spain.

Knew I was going abroad so made sure the settings were all changed and phone connected to Movistar straight away. Can do calls but I have no data. The whole idea was to be able to use data abroad. Resetting mobile data setting doesn't do anything and changing provider manually to orange or Vodafone is equally useless.

Why can't I use my data, that virgin says I should be able to, when I have changed all settings as they should be?
crusty
On our wavelength
Message 34 of 89
Flag for a moderator

This is exactly the problem.

I can connect to local networks and make calls and send texts no problem. Try to use the internet though and nothing, it just tells me I'm offline.

Virgin say everything is set up and there is nothing to stop it working,

My phone has just been checked by the manufacturer, it is properly set up for use abroad.

I'll be in France on Thursday, let's see what happens...

garjay
On our wavelength
Message 35 of 89
Flag for a moderator

Exactly the same as my two phones. No data roaming since May ( Greece ). Both my phones are set up for roaming and have had the settings changed by VM in the UK so according to CS should be working fine.............mmmmm no they are not. The only person in a group of friends who cannot use their data and no surprise the only person with VM. They obviously know there is an inherent problem with the data roaming as this help forum is full of people with the same data issues. Obviously not deemed to be serious enough by VM to get sorted though. Try not paying a bill and see how quick they react to that.

Any1else
On our wavelength
Message 36 of 89
Flag for a moderator

All sorted for me now. Rich_B saw my other post, PMd me and reset my data roaming settings. After a phone restart I now have data. Would have been good to not have to go through the forum to sort it but I can't fault the forum team in resolving my issue. Thanks Rich_B.
0 Kudos
crusty
On our wavelength
Message 37 of 89
Flag for a moderator

So, as expected I still had no roaming data in France last week.

As usual, my phone connected to the local network straightaway and I could call & text no problem. No data, however.

I called CS and a pleasant & helpful rep whose name I didn't get I'm afraid, did his best to find out the cause of the problem. I was on the phone for about 20 minutes and by the end of the call we were no further forward. He said he 'thought' it might be being blocked by the EU servers...???

I had to end the call there as I had to board a ferry but he promised to look into it further and get back to me. 

It's been 4 days and I've not heard anything so I guess he's given up...

So, where do I go from here..? Other than a different provider..?

0 Kudos
Noisette13
On our wavelength
Message 38 of 89
Flag for a moderator

Don't hold your breath. No-one cares and they are shrugging shoulders saying it's not their fault. Apparently you can only use phone in UK!!!!!
0 Kudos
stublee
On our wavelength
Message 39 of 89
Flag for a moderator

Just look at the thousands of views on posts on this topic and would love to hear from anyone who isn't experiencing problems using their phones abroad !

Why don't VM just  be up front and offer a UK service only and reduce their charges accordingly - then it's up to their customers to decide if they want to stay with them . Such a shame as I have been with them ( NTL before ) for 17 years and can't fault their broad band service ...

Noisette13
On our wavelength
Message 40 of 89
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately you don't get anything for loyalty anymore :-(. I want out of my phone loan contract too because it is tied to Virgin. It's the 2nd time it's happened to me and being on your own abroad with no communication is not nice.
0 Kudos