Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 88 (24,259 Views)

No service abroad

I changed my roaming settings to 'on' in my Virgin account, but still get no service in Ireland. Phone 'sees' several networks but won't connect. Can't contact Virgin because they only take phone calls - and I've got no phone! Infuriating. Could someone from customer services PLEASE sort!?
Message 2 of 88 (24,243 Views)

Re: No service abroad

[ Edited ]

Hi Paulcoupar,

Welcome to the communitySmiley Happy

Sorry to hear your aren't able to use roaming abroad.

If you have changed the roaming setting while already abroad this may not work. If this was done up to 24hrs before going it should be active.

You could try the following steps:

Turn your phone off and then back on again.

Go into your phone settings and select a network manually.

Try removing your phone’s battery, while it’s still switched on – this helps reboot it and find a local network.

Something else you could check when you log in to Your Account online are the call barring options. Click on plans and devices then click the tab manage devices. Make sure the call barring option to stop calls abroad isn't set to on.

Hope this helps.

Let us know how it goes.

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 3 of 88 (24,218 Views)

None of this worked, leaving me phone less for several days. Incidentally, why on earth would you set up the system so roaming settings can't be changed abroad. Surely this is precisely when you'd WANT to change them.

Even back in the UK I still can't change them. I log on, make the changes, then log off. When I log on again, the settings have not been updated.

Could you pls let me know how I can make calls abroad? This shouldn't be hard surely?
Message 4 of 88 (24,201 Views)

Hi Paulcoupar,

Thanks for the replySmiley Happy

If roaming is not staying active via the your account portal on our website then it is not going live on your account. This would need to be looked into by the Mobile technical team.

Please give us a call on 789 or 0345 6000 789 so we can look into this further for you.

Cheers

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 5 of 88 (24,194 Views)

Paul, I feel your pain. I have just returned from Spain with the same issue and I will be cancelling my contract as never have I had to go through so much rubbish to get online.

Virgin media, you guys officially are without a doubt the worst international service operators on the planet.

1 : I got to Spain and received a welcome message. I thought. OK. Let's set the data pack up. Ermmmm ? What do I text to set it up ? There is a limited explanation and a call us number in the UK. Well how do I call it when my roaming is off ?

2 : I try to call any number and it tells me that calls to this number are restricted and call 470. I call 470 and guess what. That tells me to call 470. Stuck in a loop. So I pay 15 Euros for the worst WiFi connection on the world from our hotel to be able to get online and answer work related emails.

3 : Will Virgin reimburse me 15 Euros for the connection ? If not, then I am off to three where everyone says the data etc is great especially abroad.

4 : You send an email stating all calla to 118 numbers will be charged. I was under the impression that my contract said calls to Virgins 118 were totally free or will that be changing ? This is what I am on about. Virgin and the lack of clarity, the lack of instructions and the poorly worded messages etc. 

I can forward my texts I received when arriving in Spain and I challenge anyone to be able to understand let alone be able to order a £10 data pack. 

Over to you Virgin and if I don't get a suitable answer , I will call tomorrow for my PAC number and refer the call to this post.

Another annoyed customer.

Neil

Just joined
Message 6 of 88 (23,311 Views)

Same is happening to me. Got to Hungary and no service. Tried to contact Virgin via Twitter and no reply!!! Had enough of Virgin going back to EE as soon as I get back. No 4g loads of buffering on crappy web and it NEVER connects when
Automatically when abroad
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 88 (23,295 Views)

Well Virgin .... 

Can we have an answer to this appalling situation???

Forum Team
Message 8 of 88 (23,211 Views)

Hi Mrptomo,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. I'm sorry to hear you can't connect to a network abroad. I appreciate the importance of being able to use it.

You'll need to check whether roaming is enabled on your account. If you're on pay monthly this is automatically switched off to avoid any unwanted charges.

You can now enable this via your online account. Please click here to log in and follow these steps:-

Online account > Plan and device > Manage services > Going abroad

If it shows it's turned off then please turn it on. You'll need to wait 2-24 hours for this to be successful. You can also check costs of calls, texts and reception here.

Hope this helps. Please let me know how it goes.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 9 of 88 (20,436 Views)

I got a data travel pass in portugal in May, never worked, ended up spending three times as much phoning virgin for help to try and put it right, all attempts by them failed, spoke to around four different people at virgin, all said the same thing, turn phone on then off, switch network providers, to no avail, gave up in the end, didnt even get a refund on it. Im back in portugal now, thought i would try again, so just purchased a 10MB pass, guess what, nothing, same old thing, done everything they told me to do the last time, nothing, Virgin you should not be selling these if you know they wont work, I totally agree with the other users, your overseas data service is the worst I have experienced, the other people im with have had no issues getting data with their providers, i have had to purchase wifi from the hotel.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Message 10 of 88 (20,393 Views)

Hi Gazzma,

Welcome to the Community Forum and thanks for posting. I'm sorry that your roaming service isn't working while in Portugal and that you have experienced a problem with this abroad before.

I can help with this, but I will need to take more information from you. 
I'll send you a private message requesting further details. Just check the envelope icon at the top right of this page.

Kind regards,
Terri
Virgin Media Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help