Menu
Andrewarmitage
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

No network service abroad

Hi

Can anyone help me please ..... I called virgin mobile yesterday to let them know I was going abroad and to buy the mobile data pack. Last night I landed in Greece and I've had no signal since then. All I can do is connect to the hotel wifi and use whataspp. This wouldn't necessarily bother me but my wife is pregnant and we need to be able to use my phone in case of an emergency. My wife is also on virgin and has the same problem. My mobile is switched on for data roaming but it just cannot find a network to connect to either automatically or manually. I've tweeted virgin mobile care but no answer.

I'm really hoping someone can help so my mind is put at rest and I can relax with a beer!

Cheers
Andy
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: No network service abroad

Hi Andy,

are you able to log into your Virgin Mobile account and check that "Roaming" is active for you (and your wife).

Click on  the "Plan and device" tab then go to "Manage my services".

"Roaming" needs to be set to ON & "International call barring" needs to be set to OFF.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

0 Kudos
Andrewarmitage
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi

I tried logging into my account put seems I've forgotten my password. Tried to reset it but the new code is texted to my phone and obviously can't receive the text to do this... lol. I've tried sorting the settings but seems the sim isn't set up for abroad.

Cheers
0 Kudos
matty19732000
Settling in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I had this when relying on roaming data to navigate to Disneyland Paris (April 2016). Called Virgin to set up roaming in advance but I did not switch my phone settings to allow data roaming until I arrived in Belgium. Customer Services were clueless. Just kept saying 'roaming is active on the system so it should work for you'. Did a bit of research when I got back to the UK and from what I gather only tech support can resolve this. Customer Services can't see the whole picture. I believe my instance was caused by not switching data roaming on until I reached Belgium (coming outside the UK).

p.s. Hope you get things resolved and good luck with the baby!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Andrewarmitage,

Welcome to the Community Forum, and thanks for your post. I'm sorry that your roaming isn't working.

Please have a look at the following post regarding this issue: HELP GUIDE - Mobile Data Roaming for Pay Monthly / SIMO Customers

If you are still having problems with this, I can check this for you, but I'll need to take more information from you. I'll send you a private message requesting further details. Just check the envelope icon at the top right of this page.

Kind regards,

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos