Menu
JS6
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

No mobile data roaming when in Spain.

Can anyone PLEASE help me!  I have a Motorola 16GB moto g 4, XT1622 (we’ll that’s what it says on its box!).  Virgin has turned on their bit of data roaming when abroad (Spain).  I have turned off wifi, turned on the phone data roaming bit, chosen and registered with each mobile network shown as available, turned the phone off and on in between each time I have carried out the process, as advised by Virgin when I phoned them, but still no internet.  (I can access the internet where wifi is available).  I have tried this process in different cities whilst in Spain, so don’t think it is a signal problem.  From reading forums etc, the only thing I haven’t tried is APN settings.  Does anyone know what the APN setting is for my phone as it doesn’t seem to be listed when I look at the options available on the websites I have accessed?  ANY assistance would be really appreciated.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: No mobile data roaming when in Spain.

Hi JS6,

You can check your APN settings are correct as noted on this post: Roaming - FAQs or you can find your handset on our following website to have the configuration settings for mobile internet sent to your phone: Online Send Phone Settings. If your handset isn’t on this list, you will need to manually reset the APN settings.

Also have a look at the following online Help & Support Page: Roaming Hub if you have access to WiFi.

If you are still having an issue with this, please send me a private message by clicking this link: PM me here and provide the following details:

• Full name on the account
  • Mobile number

* For other forum users reading this, please only PM me if I have asked you to first.

Kind Regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi JS6,

Thank you for sending your details via PM. I have reset this on your account. It can take up to 24 hours for this to update on the network.

Just reboot your handset and retry.

Please let me know how this goes for you.

Kind regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
JS6
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hello, Many thanks for your mail and for your actions.  However I still have no mobile roaming internet on my phone.  I have turned the phone on and off, several times now, turned off WiFi and turned on data roaming, as instructed when I initially telephoned for assistance but still nothing.  I get the message that turning on data roaming may incur charges as I turn it on and another message telling me that I am turning off roaming so will not be able to get internet access (or words to that effect), so the phone knows what I am trying to do, but nothing!

Since I have asked for data roaming to be turned on when the new rules on data roaming abroad were introduced, I have travelled in Europe for over seven weeks and been without internet access all that time, when it would have been really helpful when travelling around, so I am now getting very frustrated.  I return to the UK late tomorrow, so really would like to get the internet working on my phone before I leave Europe, as I would like reassurance that I will have access to it on my next trip in early December.

I really hope that you can assist me.

With many thanks and regards.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi JS6,

I'm sorry to hear that your roaming service still isn't working. I have rechecked this on the network and your roaming services are activated.

Please verify that your APN settings are correct as on this post: Roaming - FAQs. Also try to manually select a network from the list on your handset. And last of all, please make sure that data roaming is activated on your handset.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
JS6
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Our first point of contact was the FAQ’s section and we have worked through those and also the APN section etc., so we are basically back to square one.  However, when I get a chance later, I will go through it all again.  IF I still cannot get the internet do you have any more suggestions or bascially will I never be able to use data roaming abroad for the internet?

Could there be ANY relevance to the fact that by the signal ‘triangle’ icon on my mobile screen, it is constantly showing a ‘R’ which I haven’t noticed before???  Usually it swaps around saying 4G/3G etc, nothing constant.  When I press on this icon, it just tells me that I haven’t used any mobile data out of my allowance, which I obviously already know and that I am connected to network provider Movistar.

Another thought, I can get access to another mobile here, also on Virgin contract etc., which does get data roaming internet.  Is it worth us swapping the SIM cards to see if what results this produces. 

Many thanks 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi JS6,

Yes, if you can try your SIM in another mobile that does have Virgin Mobile APN settings. Please let me know how this goes.

0 Kudos
JS6
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

OK, I have now swapped SIM cards and the other SIM doesn’t work in my phone BUT my SIM does work in the other phone.

Does this indicate that there is a problem with my phone settings?????

Thanks.

0 Kudos
JS6
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

As previously mentioned, I have swapped SIMS and the other SIM doesn’t work in my phone but my SIM works in the other phone.  

I have now also checked everything again from the FAQ’s, APN settings etc and still nothing.

Any clues as to where I go from here, please?

Thanks.

0 Kudos