Menu
Anon100
Just joined
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

No insurance, but damaged phone

Hi,

Is anyone able to provide me any advice? 

A few days ago I accidentally dropped my phone down the toilet. It's an iPhone 5S, only had it since February. I managed to retrieve it but the water had made the screen go a green colour and now it doesn't turn back on. I took out no insurance out on the phone whatsoever when I purchased it. It's on contract at £22 a month.

What do you think I should do? can virgin help me, or do I have to contact Apple?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: No insurance, but damaged phone

Umm

If you've no insurance and the phone has been damaged by an accident you are unlikely to get any joy from either VM or Apple unless you are prepared to dig deep in your pockets.

I would get a quote from an Apple store to fix and one from a decent local phone repair shop...A repair that WONT void your warranty is going to have to go through Apple anyways...

Have you checked if your home insurance covers it?

0 Kudos
Anon100
Just joined
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your swift reply. 

I really didn't want to be spending out more money on this phone! Feel so silly about dropping in it there.

Thanks, I will pop to my local Apple store first and have them get me a quote.

I never thought about that, I'll definitely do that.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Anon100 wrote:

I really didn't want to be spending out more money on this phone! Feel so silly about dropping in it there.

If it wasn't for people (like you and I both)  having moments like that, the smartphone market would have collapsed by now. It happens. Dont feel silly.

I am in our local repair shop quite a bit and it would astonish you how many phones get dropped, dunked or (worse) thrown...

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Anon100,

Thank you for coming in and posting your message, welcome into the Community.

When accidents happe it's never easy and you can end up with a bit of a feeling, 'why me', what's important is that we've all been there. whilst i can understand that ther is no insurance, i really hope that you can get this fixed for you. You've had some really sound advice already it seems and I'm sure we'd love to know on how you progress.

Remember, it happens to the best of us and take care.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos