Menu
Cal04
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

No free wifi because Mobile Data off pre-flight?

When I went to Cuba in April, I think (didn’t pay much attention until it went pear-shaped) I switched my mobile data off and the phone to ‘flight mode’ before I left England. Roaming was enabled but the phone was turned off altogether for the first part of the flight. I hadn’t bought a data package and had no intention of turning mobile data back on until I got home. When I arrived in Cuba, I had hoped to be able to lock into wifi in hotels/restaurants etc, but I kept getting a message, saying I couldn’t access wifi because I had turned something off (mobile data, I think) before I left England. Wifi access isn’t great in Cuba anyway, but others were able to do it. Can you tell me what needs to be turned on and off before flying so that I can just access free wifi, without incurring data charges, plus normal texts/calls? In case it matters, I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 and a Virgin Mobile pay monthly contract.

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: No free wifi because Mobile Data off pre-flight?

Fight mode will turn everything off including wifi, mobile data and the ability to make and receive calls.  

You need to turn just mobile data off if you don't want to use it in Cuba 

If you need to have flight mode on during the flight, just disable it on arrival, leaving mobile data off

0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Just turning "data roaming" off would be all you need to do to stop using data while abroad, settings > mobile networks > toggle the data roaming switch on or off.

As advised, flight mode turns your phone into a brick, just turn that on whilst in-flight.
---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
Cal04
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, but it sounds as though you are telling me to do what I did. The point is that when I turned the flight mode back off and tried to access wifi, I got a message to say I couldn't because I had turned 'something' (mobile data - I thought) off before I left England - sorry, can't remember the exact wording of the message. So, my question really is: what could I have turned off before the flight that would provoke that message when I try to access wifi abroad and how can I avoid being blocked in the same way in future?

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The only thing you turn off is mobile data/ data roaming, then wifi is still active, most aircraft use wifi for onboard entertainment now, and some low cost operators have removed seat back screens and you use your own device on wifi

0 Kudos
Cal04
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, all. I'll see what happens next time.

0 Kudos