Menu
Andarne
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

No Signal, Emergency Calls Only

I recently moved from O2 PayG to a Virgin Mobile Contract.

Unfortunately, I am receiving little-to-no signal inside my house, or outside on the street. At max, I have only ever had 2 bars at home. I am constantly unable to send/receive text messages and calls.

I have verified that this is not a phone-only issue; tested using my Samsung Galaxy S4, HTC Desire, BLU Win 8 and my partner's ASUS mobile. Other non-Virgin Sims receive full-strength.

Postcode is KA11 4BT

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: No Signal, Emergency Calls Only

Variable indoor coverage according to the EE Checker - Good outside, but not the best. 

Were any of the other SIMS EE?

0 Kudos
Andarne
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

One was; it was getting 3-4 bars. Had some spare credit on it so rang my partner's phone. Crystal clear.

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Andarne wrote:

One was; it was getting 3-4 bars. Had some spare credit on it so rang my partner's phone. Crystal clear.

Some reports on here that in some locations Virgin do not seem to do as well as EE.  

Surprisingly the EE network is not fully integrated as yet and some masts identify as T-Mobile and others Orange. Virgin pick T-Mobile first (their old carrier) whilst EE SIMS choose the strongest signal.

0 Kudos
Andarne
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

In regards to the Virgin signal strength, which I am paying a contract to use, what are my options?

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Good question. Technocally you have 14 days from the start of your contract to cancel.

This is worth a read, but not sure if it will help http://www.money.co.uk/guides/can-you-cancel-your-mobile-phone-contract-if-you-cant-get-signal.htm

0 Kudos
Andarne
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately, I am long-past the 14-day grace period.

I appreciate your help, Enlli. I hope a Virgin Mobile representative picks this up soon - I'm currently waiting for feedback from a prospective employer, but with no mobile signal... It's stressful.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Andarne,

Welcome to the forums Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to hear you've had some issues with signal in the area. I want to help get this sorted.

Is the sim card in your Samsung currently?

If so, I want to try a manual network search on the phone. This can be done by going into settings > Connections > More Networks > Mobile Networks > Network operators. Once this is done, you will see a list of networks. YOu can connect to any EE, T-Mobile or Orange networks displayed.

Let me know how you get on with this.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

How are you getting on with this Andarne?

Let me know if you need anything at all.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Andarne
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, Mat.

Yes, the SIM is currently in my Samsung Galaxy S4.

I have repeatedly attempted manual and automatic network searches to no avail. The only networks that are constant in my area are O2 or Tesco Mobile. I've only been able to select Virgin (or EE) once or twice via Manual.

I've just ran a manual search just now, and the results are: Virgin, Vodafone UK, O2 - UK

Using the same phone, I tested an old Vodafone UK SIM and a O2 SIM. The signal strengths are both at 5 bars. However, all throughout today I have had 1 bar on Virgin.

It is getting to the point where I am considering leaving my Mobile contract with Virgin and returning to O2.

0 Kudos