Menu
luke_gillett
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

No Service - Restricted Access Changed - Cannot Connect To Network

Hello. First post on these forums. Apologies for the length of this but I want to try to give as much detail as I can in the hopes that someone will be able to help me out or that the methods I have tried may help someone else out!

For almost two days now my Virgin mobile (Sony Xperia M2) has been showing "No Service" so I cannot make/receive calls, send/receive texts and nor do I have any data transfer. WiFi is still working fine so my only means of contact is through Whatsapp, so of course I have nothing at all if I am outside of a WiFi hotspot. I have scoured the internet to try and find a solution but absolutely nothing seems to be working. I have a pay as you go Virgin sim and the operating system is andriod Lollipop.

I tried all the obvious things. Being that my phone is an M2 the battery is inaccessible so I've turned phone off and on and took the sim card out. I've tried the sim card in an older phone that I have (Xperia U) but it is the same, no service. At this point I assumed it was the sim card that had stopped working, so I tried a different sim (also Virgin) but the problem remained. I tried yet another Virgin sim (a brand new one) but still no service. I find it hard to believe that all three sims were not working and that none of them work in either of my two phones (nor does my original sim work in my fathers phone which is also a virgin phone). No matter which sim I put in either phone, there is still no service on either.

I tried updating to the latest version of android (Lollipop) but that did not change anything.

I tried next to find any other possible remedies and found a few suggestions. On my phone I have gone to Settings->Wireless & Networks->Mobile Networks->Network Operators and done a search for networks but every time I try to connect to Virgin it says "Cannot Connect To Network"or something along those lines. Another message that appears in the notification bar when tapping on the virgin network (and any other) is "No Service, Network is unavailable".

A couple of other suggestions where that I go to "Preferred Network Type" in the "Mobile Networks" menu and change it to WCDMA only or GSM only. Neither of these work and I get a message that says "Restricted Access Changed".

Finally I tried dialing *#*#4636#*#* and going to the "Phone Information" section. Signal strength looks fine. As far as I can tell the IMEI number has not changed and is not blocked. The phone number still shows up as correct. A suggestion said run a ping test then tap the "Radio Off" button and then tap it again to "Radio On".This disconnects the signal and then re connects when you turn it back on. This also had no effect.

It seems I've just about exhausted all the suggestions for dealing with this issue that I can find, all except the Factory Reset option, which I had hoped to avoid as I find setting everything back up to my liking to be a real pain in the posterior! If I cannot find a solution from any of you kind folks on here I suppose it may come down to a full reset. I will post what the result of such action is should I not be able to resolve it with any suggestions made on here.

Thank you for your patience in reading all that, if you managed to get through it, and thanks for any help anyone here can provide!

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: No Service - Restricted Access Changed - Cannot Connect To Network

Hi Luke_gillet,

Welcome to the forums Smiley Happy

I'm really sorry that you're having issues with getting the signal to re-appear on the phone. I want to get this all sorted for you.

The last option before a factory reset is to order a replacement sim with us. I know you've tried alternate sims before but we want to make sure a replacement of ours doesn't fix this.

Give us a call on 789 or 0345 6000 789 and we'll get on the case.

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
luke_gillett
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply. I did a factory reset and that did not solve the problem so am now going to order a replacement sim card to see if that solves the issue.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to me Luke_gillet Smiley Happy 

Let me know how you get on with this. We're here if you need anything at all.

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Luke_gillet,

Did you order a replacement sim with us just yet?

Let me know if you need any further assistance.

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos
luke_gillett
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

My replacement sim card just arrived (with my old number still attached), but it still shows no service. I tried buying a new Virgin sim card from a shop (obviously it came with a new number) and that worked OK, I had service... Could this mean my phone number has been blocked by Virgin somehow?

0 Kudos
luke_gillett
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

It seems it just took a little while longer to activate the replacement sim that I thought it would. I am now back online and have service again, all my old credit and services are back to normal. Looks like I was just unlucky with how many sim cards I tried that happened to be no good!

Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Glad to hear you're back up and running Luke_Gillett Smiley Happy

Please let me know if you have any other queries regarding this.

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos
Matthew3
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I'm having the same issue with my contract sim. I'm hoping it's the sim. Tried my other half sim in my phone but still not working. 

I have noticed it works when I'm out works for about 5mind then back to no service. 

If anyone can help in be truly grateful. 

I'm a dad of three. I had to get my sister in law to phone up doctors to get my daughter appointment. 

Many thanks 

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Matthew3,

Welcome to the forums Smiley Happy

Sorry to hear you've had some trouble with both sims in the phone.

Do you get the same error message on your phone? Can you let me know what handset you're using?

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos