Menu
SVS1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

No SIM card - No Service message

I ordered a micro SIM from Virgin as my standard SIM would have been too large for my new mobile (Lenovo Vibe K5).  When it arrived, I carried out the SIM activation process and received two messages (one saying that you'd received my request, and the other saying "Woohoo! Your new Pay Monthly SIM is now up and running. Your old SIM won't work anymore").  However I saw a message at the top of my lock screen saying "No SIM card - No Service" and, at the bottom of my 'notifications' screen, it showed "Virgin  No SIM card". I phoned the helpline number given and spoke to a lady who told me that it could take up to 24 hours for those messages to disappear, however she'd monitor the situation and phone me back.  That was on Monday 2nd October.  I haven't received any phone call as yet and the two SIM card messages have remained unchanged.

Under my status tab, my telephone number is showing fine and other information is as follows:

Network = T-Mobile UK: Virgin, and Mobile network type = T-Mobile UK: HSPA

Under my SIM management tab, there is a white tick on a blue background against the word Activate.

My phone appears to be working fine.  I can get to my Virgin account; use Wifi and 3G to access the internet; make and receive telephone calls; send and receive texts, and I have been able to put a security password on my SIM and phone.

My phone has the latest system update installed; I've turned it off and on again; I've taken the SIM out and put it back in again, etc., but still the two messages telling me that I have 'no SIM installed/no network' are showing.  I have and I have!! 

I don't know whether these messages are an issue as all the functions seem to be working fine on my phone, however I'd prefer for it all to be showing correctly.  Please help!

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: No SIM card - No Service message

Is it a 4G phone looking for a 4G network Virgin only use 3G so try changing the network settings 

0 Kudos
SVS1
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi J0hn, thank you for getting back to me.  

I should have put in my initial message that I'd also tried what you've suggested.  I clicked on both 'Choose automatically - Automatically choose preferred network', plus on 'Available Networks' and manually chose 'Virgin 3G' (it told me it was 'Registered on network') but neither action solved the 'no SIM/no network' message issue.  Even if I chose the only other option (EE2G) it didn't get rid of those same messages.

Everything appears to work fine but I'm dubious and feel that "Virgin  No SIM card" and "No SIM card - No service" messages just can't be right...

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Try the sim in a different phone if possible, it is a sim free phone? Not an iPhone that has been used on a different network?
0 Kudos
SVS1
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

No, it's a brand new SIM free android phone (http://www.tesco.com/direct/lenovo-k5-grey-sim-free/539-1974.prd?source=others).  It's not an iPhone and has never been on any other network.  

Unfortunately, I don't have another phone in which to try the new micro SIM.  My old handset (a very basic 2G model) had a standard size SIM, which is why I couldn't just pop that in my new phone (not that I'm sure it would have even worked on a 3G handset.  The standard sized SIM was ancient!). I've had a look on Google to see if I could somehow put the micro SIM in my old phone but I don't have a 'removable SIM tray' in the Lenovo K5, and I don't really want to go to the expense of buying an adapter.

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I'd call 0345 6000 789 from any phone as it seems the sim has either not been activated correctly or it's failed
0 Kudos
SVS1
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hmmm... I'm a bit loathe to do so.  I already tried that on Monday, spoke to a lady who told me she'd monitor it and phone me back (but didn't).  I didn't get the impression she had any technical expertise.  Do the 'no SIM/no service' messages I'm getting matter??  My phone, as I've said, seems to be working fine and all my activity during the past week appears to be registering on my account.  I don't really want Virgin to re-activate my SIM, only to find that everything I've transferred from my old phone and all the entries I've input on the phone over the past week are suddenly wiped!  I will not be at all pleased considering I've already, at the beginning of last week, phoned the number you mention to report the issue but nothing has been done to rectify it or contact me...  Do you know whether anyone in the Virgin technical department monitors this forum please?

0 Kudos