Menu
js4
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

No Data Roaming in Spain

Hi, I'm on holiday in Spain in the Costa Blanca region and have not been able to access roaming data. Data roaming in my account was enabled prior to departure and I purchased a travel pass on arrival. I have had to manually select Orange as the network provider and data roaming is switched on on my phone (3G only). No problem with WiFi. Any advice as how to access data when out and about?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team (Retired) MichaelGr
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: No Data Roaming in Spain

Hi

Can I ask what device you are using?

This may be relating to your Access Point Name (APN) being set to an EE APN, this means the device would work whilst in the UK but not whilst abroad. It will hopefully be a simple case of popping the Virgin APN into the phone settings.

I'm assuming you have been into mobile networks on the device as you mentioned manually selecting a network, so if you go into mobile networks and look at your Access Point Names to see what is selected at the moment and let me know I will try keep an eye on this forum to help you out.

Cheers

Mike

I work for Virgin Media Mobile however my posts are my own opinions and Virgin cannot be held responsible.
Tags (2)

All Replies
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi

Can I ask what device you are using?

This may be relating to your Access Point Name (APN) being set to an EE APN, this means the device would work whilst in the UK but not whilst abroad. It will hopefully be a simple case of popping the Virgin APN into the phone settings.

I'm assuming you have been into mobile networks on the device as you mentioned manually selecting a network, so if you go into mobile networks and look at your Access Point Names to see what is selected at the moment and let me know I will try keep an eye on this forum to help you out.

Cheers

Mike

I work for Virgin Media Mobile however my posts are my own opinions and Virgin cannot be held responsible.
Tags (2)
js4
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mike, thanks for responding. You nailed it. Changing the APN from Internet to Virgin resolved the issue. Thanks very much.
Cheers.
John
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

No problem have a good trip

Thanks

Mike

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Js4,

Cheers for coming in and posting, it's great to see that you've joined the Community Smiley Happy

I can see that you have already met another member and they have been able to give you some sound advice here, thank you MichaelGr.

If you need any further assistance please let one of the team know and have a great weekend.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
ernieslad
Tuning in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi
I have the same problem with iPhone 5. I've got everything switched on and have bought a lump of roaming data...but no 3G or anything else. Calls and SMS okay.
Dave
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi ernieslad,

Thanks for your post on the Community Forum. I'm sorry that you're having a problem with your roaming service in Spain. Is this working for you now?

Please have a look at the following post, which contains more information about roaming: HELP GUIDE - Mobile Data Roaming for Pay Monthly / SIMO Customers or via our online Help & Support page: Using your Virgin Mobile abroad FAQs.

If you are still having a problem, please let me know and I can look into this for you.

Kind regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
jbtibor
Tuning in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I have similar issue in Romania with a Nexus 5. APN is goto.virginmobile.uk, I have an active travel pass, mobile data and data roaming are enabled in phone settings. I can make and receive calls, send and receive texts, only data connection doesn't work. What else can I check?
0 Kudos
Naho
Joining in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi, hoping if you could help.

1. On my account setting, Roaming is on,
2. Purchased travel pass, done,
3. On my device, iPhone 7, Data Roaming is on.
4. Turn off then switched back on my device, reset network settings

Yet no data network in Spain after 24 hours setting all above.

It would be great if you could help me to make some use of my travel pass usage before going back to the uk!

Regards,
0 Kudos
jbtibor
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I posted a new question and eventually answered it myself:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Mobile/Data-roaming-doesn-t-work-in-EU/m-p/3394530#M79676

The solution was that I had to call Virgin customer service and they told I was supposed to call them before I leave UK because the Enable Roaming button in online settings doesn't enable data roaming. Unfortunately this is not mentioned in any of the guides.