Menu
Mikb68
Tuning in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Nightly £2 charge...why?

On checking the bill for my daughter's mobile I noticed that the bill goes up £10 every day although she uses WiFi.

Every night at midnight a charge of £2 is added to the bill as 'internet usage' but not on tariff. I know for a fact the mobile is not being used at this time and when it is switched off the charge applies as soon as it's switched on.

I switched mobile use off days ago so the mobile is only using our own WiFi (Virgin).

Is there any way to find out what this is?

Thanks

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Nightly £2 charge...why?

Hi Mikb68,

£2 is Virgin Mobile daily charge for out of tariff mobile data use.

If your daughter has no allowance left a £2 charge will occur soon after midnight as we enter a new 24 hour period.

Regardless as to whether the phone is being used, if mobile data is enabled on the device, it will use it automatically to check for updates sync emails, check weather e.t.c.

Even if the phone is usually connected to a WiFi source this may still happen as the phone's WiFi may "sleep" as a battery saving measure.

To avoid this, double check that mobile data is correctly disabled (turned off) on the phone itself until the next refresh.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Nightly £2 charge...why?

Hi Mikb68,

£2 is Virgin Mobile daily charge for out of tariff mobile data use.

If your daughter has no allowance left a £2 charge will occur soon after midnight as we enter a new 24 hour period.

Regardless as to whether the phone is being used, if mobile data is enabled on the device, it will use it automatically to check for updates sync emails, check weather e.t.c.

Even if the phone is usually connected to a WiFi source this may still happen as the phone's WiFi may "sleep" as a battery saving measure.

To avoid this, double check that mobile data is correctly disabled (turned off) on the phone itself until the next refresh.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.