Menu
jaybe
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

New to Virgin mobile - very very slow internet speeds

Hi,

I just took out a new 30 day SIM only contract, on the unlimited plan @ £15 per month (as an existing VM customer).

This was taken out on Friday and out of curiosity I have run a number of speed tests, and I very surprised at how slow it is showing on what appears to be an almost full [bars]  3G network. I am getting 0.31 Mbps download, on 02 my wife is getting about 5 Mbps (the network I have left).

And no it cannot be capped as I have hardly used it in the three days I have had it, maybe about 100 MB since then.

Can anyone shed any light on why it is showing 4/5 bars on 3G but very very slow speeds?

Forum Team (Retired) Rita-B
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: New to Virgin mobile - very very slow internet speeds

Hi jaybe,

Thank you for your post. Good question!

What handset are using?  I would recommend the basic, ensuring your handset is up to date with the latest software.

Check your internal space, move your media (pictures, mp3 files, videos, and so forth) to the external memory, usually an SD card.

I would also recommend clearing the internet cache by accessing settings in the browser as well as clearing the RAM for the phone using the task manager

Also un-install any application which you do not use.

These will help speed up your phone :smileyhappy:

Hope this helps :smileyhappy:

Rita B
Help & Support Forum Team

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

None of those tips will speed up a slow data connection.

Just tried mine using the speedtest.net app - .5mbps down, 1.66mbps up (86ms ping) Shockingly bad for HSDPA Plus (my Galaxy S4 was showing H+ in the status bar for the duration of the test).

jamespwillson
Joining in
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Ive been with virgin the last year and don't usually have a problem with the 3G service it's usually more reliable and faster than other people I'm with.  Since Saturday however its been terrible.  Speeds around 0.1-0.4 Mbps.  Usually I can expect a minimum of 3Mbps. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi Gorf and jamespwillson,

Thank you for your reply. Currently we do have an issue in some areas affecting the 3G connection. Please call our technical team on 789 (any Virgin Mobile Phone) or 150 (Virgin Land line) or 0845 6000 789 (from any other Landline) open between 8am-8pm Mon-Sun so we can look in to this further for you and see if you are affected. 

Let us know how you get on.

Rita B

0 Kudos
jaybe
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

My phone settings are as good as they can be, I have a habit of tweaking things to get the best performance, so there is no issue there. I have an iPhone 4S.

I have since noticed that with Virgin mobile you get two networks showing under 'carrier' if you turn off automatic, one Virgin and the other virgin (lower case). From what I have read this is Orange and T-mobile and the phone should switch to the strongest signal. Both are 3G but when I was trying this the one it was not switching to looked to be the better signal and was showing better speeds, but then it switched and the other was so I don't think there is much in it. I have left it on automatic.

Using the Speedtest app today I am getting the following (on 3G x3 bars):

Ping: 572

Download: 0.44 Mbps

Upload: 0.82 Mbps

0 Kudos
jaybe
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Are VM able to say where the current noted issues are with the 3G service?

Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi All,

If you are experiencing issues, i would recommend, a hard reboot then searching for the network this will refresh the phone software and the network given you a better connection.

From here, please call our technical team on 789 (any Virgin Mobile Phone) or 150 (Virgin Land line) or 0845 6000 789 (from any other Landline) open between 8am-8pm Mon-Sun so we can look in to this further for you.

Let us know how you get on Smiley Happy

Rita B

0 Kudos
jaybe
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Yes done all this already, usually first port of call.

It's just that you mentioned issues with the 3G network, can you expand?
0 Kudos
jaybe
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

That'll be a no then I take it....