Menu
lollypop68
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

New size SIM, same number

I have an old SIM card, the gold area too large to cut to the micro SIM size I need.

I'm currently in Australia, so don't want to phone Virgin to request a new SIM, but can't seem to find an email address to ask that way.

How do I order a new SIM with the same number, just in a micro size...do they charge for this? If so, how much?

Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: New size SIM, same number

Hi lollypop68,

you can still cut your SIM to size even though it means cutting some of the gold area.

(I know, I've done this with my own SIM).

I just used a "3 in 1" pop out SIM as a template after popping out the micro size. Held the two SIM's together and drew around the opening with pen.

Then cut it out with a pair of scissors. (Yes it was a bit scary especially cutting the gold bit but it workes fine). Smiley Happy

Alternatively once back in the UK you could give the Virgin mobile team a call on 789 from a Virgin mobile or 0345 6000 789 from any other phone & request a new SIM of the correct size. (There is no email address).

You just have to pay for postage: 99p standard or £2.99 for next day.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

All Replies
Argy
Rising star
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Are you sure you can't cut the current SIM card to suit?  

I thought that all cards could be cut down, it's just that the nano card is only just about the same size as the contact area.

http://smartphones.wonderhowto.com/how-to/cut-your-sim-card-down-mini-micro-nano-size-0149154/

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1428694/microsim_template.pdf

Just another VM user trying to help, so no guarantees that my advice will work .
If my suggestion is helpful, please mark it as helpful; it may help others. Just want to say "Thanks"? That's the Kudos button.
Tags (3)
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi lollypop68,

you can still cut your SIM to size even though it means cutting some of the gold area.

(I know, I've done this with my own SIM).

I just used a "3 in 1" pop out SIM as a template after popping out the micro size. Held the two SIM's together and drew around the opening with pen.

Then cut it out with a pair of scissors. (Yes it was a bit scary especially cutting the gold bit but it workes fine). Smiley Happy

Alternatively once back in the UK you could give the Virgin mobile team a call on 789 from a Virgin mobile or 0345 6000 789 from any other phone & request a new SIM of the correct size. (There is no email address).

You just have to pay for postage: 99p standard or £2.99 for next day.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

lollypop68
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I took it into a phone shop here...it's from 2004 & the gold bit is bigger than the micro SIM area, so they wouldn't cut it for me...they said it would ruin it, although someone else on here says it's not a drama...

0 Kudos