Menu
steveob
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

New sim - is this true?

About to inherit my wife's Moto G (not on Virgin so will need to unlock) when she upgrades to Moto GT 3rd gen. Needs a micro sim and my ancient Galaxy Ace is standard sim.  Went into local Virgin store and asked for a micro sim.  Was told that as soon as I was given it my phone number would change to the new sim and my Ace would no longer work.  I queried this and said that I thought I would need to port the number once I put the new sim in the Moto G.  Was assured that it would be instant and done in store.

As I have another two weeks, could not be bothered to persue it but is this info correct.

Any info on this gratefully received.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: New sim - is this true?

That's how it's always worked for me in store, ordering online may be different

0 Kudos
badoit
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I kept my number when I got a micro SIM. I decided to buy a new phone to replace my VM bought ZTE Blade 3 (standard SIM), and i was pretty sure whatever I was going to buy would need a micro SIM. At the time I was thinking of a Wileyfox Swift, anyhow I rang up Virgin Mobile and a very nice lady told me I could have a micro SIM for my current number, she said it would be free except for 99p postage. It came in the post 2 days later and the card it was mounted on said it would last 30 days. In the end I didn't get the Wileyfox. I went in my local VM store and asked what PAYG/SIM only phones they had around £129. The bloke said that quite honestly VM concentrate on contract phones these days and he said I should go to Carphone Warehouse (just round the corner) and get an unlocked phone as they had much better selection. I went in and after about 2 minutes deciding I went for a Moto G 3rd gen. To activate the new micro SIM I had to text READY to a number printed on the package and wait about 2 minutes.

0 Kudos
steveob
Tuning in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the replies.  Guess I'll wait until I have the old Moto G in my hand and take it into the store.  Only slight problem is that at the moment it's locked and although I have the unlock code, apparently with this phone you have to put in the new sim on a different network before you enter the code.  Bit chicken and egg!

0 Kudos