Menu
GillB
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

New customer has a few problems

I've just activated my sim & ported my number with no problems at all ... but I do have three minor problems/queries and am hoping someone can give me advice as it doesn't seem worth contacting support:

1. I am pay monthly, sim only and am confused about roaming as there seem to be two different sets of instructions. I enabled it on my account page and called the automatic check which said roaming is enabled on my phone. However I've also seen advice (including in the sticky thread here) that I need to call to enable it. So am I OK when I go to Belgium in a couple of weeks? It's important as my mum's in a nursing home and I need to be absolutely certain that they can contact me in the event of an emergency.

2. My phone signal downstairs  at home goes from no signal to 1, very occasionally 2, bars. At the moment it's on 0 bars. Upstairs it's 4 bars. My daughter had an EE phone and had no trouble using it downstairs. I thought Virgin used EE's masts and so presumed it would be OK. Is there anything I can do to boost my signal slightly?

3. A very minor, but annoying, thing. Under settings on my HTC One (the original one), under date & time, the automatic date & time/use network-provided time doesn't work. If I alter the time then tick the network-provided time it doesn't revert to the correct time as it did with my former provider.

Grateful for any help Smiley Happy

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: New customer has a few problems

Hi GillB,

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm very sorry to hear the low signal fault has manifested itself into calls being cut off. This is massively inconvenient for obvious reasons.

I've checked your signal here and it's rated for 3G at 3 out of 5 bars which is 'Good' but this is only for outdoor coverage. We can never guarantee a signal indoors for the reasons mentioned in the link. I've also checked the local masts in your area and these are all operational.

Do you get the same problems in other areas? If you don't then it could just be the signal inside your property.

I appreciate this is an emergency for you. If this continues I'd need you to contact the team so they can look at this for you. You can call 789 from a Virgin Mobile, 150 from a Virgin Media Landline or 0345 6000 789 from any other phone.

Please let me know how you get on.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi GillB,

Thanks for posting. I'll try and answer all your points as best as I can.

1 - You wouldn't need to call to enable it as you've done it via your online account. So it should be working for you. But if you want peace of mind it's always worth a quick call to us to make sure it's definitely set up correctly.

2 - We do use the same network. Did you have the same problem with your previous provider? Does anyone else in the house have problems?

3 - I'm not too sure on this last point as I've never had any dealings with it. Are you still having issues?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Ive had the time issue for a while and my wife, 

0 Kudos
GillB
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply. Firstly, the good news - number 3 has solved itself. Last night I changed the time then, later, ticked network time and it worked. I've tested it several times since & it still works. No idea why - I hadn't applied any updates but it's working Smiley Happy I will take your advice on number 3 as well when I have a phone signal.

Number 2 is still a problem, though, and is possibly getting worse. I was with O2 before and had no problem; my daughters are with 3 and they have zero/bad signal but 3's coverage says it won't work here. Virgin's coverage map rates my postcode as 'very good'. It seems to be switching to no signal even more often yesterday and today.
0 Kudos
GillB
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Doesn't seem to be an option to edit my post ... so just to add to this, I'm getting limited service all over the house now and probably for about 75% of the time with 25% (if I'm lucky) with zero, one or two bars. This is getting so frustrating as I need to be contactable by my mother's nursing home.
0 Kudos
GillB
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

GillB wrote:
Firstly, the good news - number 3 has solved itself. Last night I changed the time then, later, ticked network time and it worked. I've tested it several times since & it still works. 
I should have waited. It's stopped working again. Sigh ...
0 Kudos
Magz
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Sorry I have no answers but I have posted about a similar problem with signal, I've even been trying an experiment with 2 phones which I've carried everywhere together, one with an EE sim one with a Virgin sim, the EE one has no problems but the Virgin one consistently has issues so despite being told numerous times that Virgin service will be identical to EE it seems pretty clear that sadly it isn't always the case.

I'm really hoping there's an answer to this somewhere as the cost is so much better with Virgin than with EE though!

0 Kudos
GillB
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to make yet another post about this, but now my phone is cutting off sometimes for no apparent reason. It happens when trying to ring ordinary numbers or 789 -most times it cuts off after clicking on call and it doesn't start ringing, sometimes it starts ringing & cuts off and, very occasionally, I can actually get through to someone.

I am beginning to panic about this. I am going to be on holiday next week and I *must* be able to receive/make calls from/to my mother's nursing home. I thought it might be my phone so tried the phone troubleshooting from my account but, apparently, my IMEI number doesn't exist which really doesn't fill me with confidence.

I'm getting to the end of my tether with Virgin Mobile and beginning to wish I hadn't moved.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi GillB,

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm very sorry to hear the low signal fault has manifested itself into calls being cut off. This is massively inconvenient for obvious reasons.

I've checked your signal here and it's rated for 3G at 3 out of 5 bars which is 'Good' but this is only for outdoor coverage. We can never guarantee a signal indoors for the reasons mentioned in the link. I've also checked the local masts in your area and these are all operational.

Do you get the same problems in other areas? If you don't then it could just be the signal inside your property.

I appreciate this is an emergency for you. If this continues I'd need you to contact the team so they can look at this for you. You can call 789 from a Virgin Mobile, 150 from a Virgin Media Landline or 0345 6000 789 from any other phone.

Please let me know how you get on.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
GillB
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for coming back to me on this.

It does seem to operate OK in other places - for example at a friend's house just round the corner I get 5 bars whereas in my own house it's a maximum of two, usually 0, then if I open an app or connect to wifi it usually goes to no service so I'm beginning to think it's my house that's the problem.

I'm not going to do anything until I get back from holiday as I can't risk being without a phone then and it should be OK going by my reception elsewhere. After that I'll contact Support (though I do think it's a bit ironic to be offered a Mobile number when I can't get a signal ... but it's OK, I can use 150 Smiley Wink )
0 Kudos