Menu
DigitalStefan
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

New customer for SIM only - £9/month - No SIM, being billed

I placed my order Sunday 8th Jan. Received confirmation same day. Received "Your order's on its way!" email the following day.

Receive a "Your mobile bill dated 9 January..." email yesterday.

A few problems I have with this:-

1. SIM hasn't arrived.
  2. Haven't activated SIM, so I argue that I should not be being billed.
  3. Trying to resolve this by contacting VM, a communications company, via email - can't find an email address.

As the SIM hasn't arrived yet, any cooling-off clock hasn't started, so I could just stay with my current provider.

I ordered my SIM after following a Facebook advert link. Others had commented negatively on the advert saying "no SIM yet I'm still being billed". I put this down as people trolling. Clearly not.

How do I contact someone at VM in order to discuss properly?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: New customer for SIM only - £9/month - No SIM, being billed

Hi DigitalStephan,

unfortunately there is no email address for Virgin Mobile.

They can be contacted by phone: 0345 6000 789 (standard rate call).

It is usual to be billed within the first few days of your contract as you are billed for the month ahead. However all being well you should receive your SIM within the first few days of your agreement also.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

Superuser1718.png
0 Kudos
DigitalStefan
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi AlexPhid,

Thanks for the information. I'm against the idea of spending money on a call to VM customer services when the point of choosing a £9/month tariff was in large part a cost-saving exercise. Also, I shouldn't really find myself in a position to seek support from customer services before my contract has really begun.

Whatever view anyone has about contract start dates, there's a product (SIM) and a service (mobile phone access and data) that I've agreed to take from VM. Neither has been delivered as yet.

Being billed for the month ahead is a concept I'm comfortable with. Being billed for a service that cannot be utilised is a nonsense.

Whilst not exactly Earth-shatteringly expensive when pro-rated per day, the 4 days (so far) of unusable service constitutes more than 10% of the value of this month's bill.

If VM called you to say "you owe us £1.20 at the end of this month", you asked "what for?" and their reply was "oh, nothing, we just like money", are you happy with that?

**edit**

0345 numbers are inclusive in my current plan, so I'm on hold waiting to speak with cancellations just now. 3 minute estimated wait.

0 Kudos
DigitalStefan
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

So I spoke with Wendel. Wendel credited £9 to my account and said all the right things.

I'm a lot less grumpy now.

0 Kudos
DigitalStefan
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Starting to get grumpy again. I was surprised to not have my new SIM on Friday. Surprised it didn't arrive on Saturday. Shocked that it hasn't arrived yesterday and now I'm just incredulous about the fact that it's still not here.

Looks like a few posts from "customers" (are we a customer if we aren't using the service?) concerning the same problem, some of whom have had an absolutely terrible time trying to speak with a customer service agent about it.

I'm not going to put myself through that.

I think I'll just wait until this coming weekend. If I haven't received the SIM by then I'm just going to cancel my direct debit. I'll make one attempt at calling the cancellations department, but if that takes more than 10 minutes or the agent gives me difficulties, I doubt I'll have the patience. I'm only on a 100 minutes per month tariff. Irony is that I wanted to move to Virgin to get essentially the same data and texts, but with more minutes for £1 less per month than I enjoy with Giffgaff.

Giffgaff may not have telephone customer service, but they are pretty responsive via other means.

0 Kudos