Menu
Highlighted
crashdiamond23
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

New SIM/contract but keep current number?

I've just bought myself a new phone and need to replace my current micro SIM with a nano SIM. I also want to take this opportunity to upgrade my contract. The only problem is I want to ensure I keep my current number. Which is the best way to go about this - order a new nano SIM package including the contract  then switch numbers or upgrade the contract then order a new size of SIM?

I'm also concerned/confused as last time I ordered a new SIM (when I switched from Virgin PAYG to PM) I was told before switching that keeping my number wouldn't be a problem yet after switching I was told I wouldn't be able to keep my old number as I was switching SIMs within the network rather than from another network (which I really can't understand?). To add to my confusion, when my mum made the same move from Virgin PAYG to PM, she was able to keep her number no problem?

So could someone please clarify if/when it is possible to keep a phone number?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: New SIM/contract but keep current number?

You won't have any problem doing what you want.

Any SIM swap on Pay Monthly doesn't affect your number. If you're currently on a 3G plan, then upgrading will move you to a 4G plan and it's likely you'll need a new SIM anyway.

When you get this SIM it'll be a multi-format one i.e. mini, micro and nano SIM all in one. You'll push out the bit you need for your phone.

I can't remember exactly why some moves from PAYG to Pay Monthly cause some number issues - although I think it depends if you had previously transferred a number in from elsewhere or not.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You won't have any problem doing what you want.

Any SIM swap on Pay Monthly doesn't affect your number. If you're currently on a 3G plan, then upgrading will move you to a 4G plan and it's likely you'll need a new SIM anyway.

When you get this SIM it'll be a multi-format one i.e. mini, micro and nano SIM all in one. You'll push out the bit you need for your phone.

I can't remember exactly why some moves from PAYG to Pay Monthly cause some number issues - although I think it depends if you had previously transferred a number in from elsewhere or not.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi crashdiamond23,

your problem last time sounds like you say, you asked for a new SIM / plan (and you were correctly told later that you can't move a number within the network).

Just be clear this time that you want a replacement SIM (and as BenMcr says, if upgrading to a 4G tariff you'll get a new SIM anyway).

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

Superuser1718.png
crashdiamond23
Tuning in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Amazing, thank you for a quick response! That would make sense about my previous experience as I had carried my number from Vodafone PAYG to Virgin PAYG previously. So should I call up and ask to have my contract upgraded and get a new SIM sent out?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yes. All you need to do is choose the plan you want from the current 4G options here http://store.virginmedia.com/virgin-media-mobile/sim-only/pay-monthly-sim.html , and then arrange your plan upgrade.

Just to point out that although your new SIM can be used as soon as you get it any change to your plan, including going from 3G to 4G, will happen at your next refresh date.

0 Kudos
crashdiamond23
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

And what about keeping the number (sorry, so many questions!)? Do I need to call up and get that switched or can I do that when I order the SIM?
0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

If you order the upgrade online, you'll need to do it after logging into your mobile account and select "change my Tarrif". Do not order online from link above.
---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
crashdiamond23
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

It doesn't provide an option to upgrade to a 4G tarriff - only 3G?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Call 789 and they should be able to arrange it.
0 Kudos