Menu
ksaro1
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

New 4g SIM gets very hot and battery drains in hours

Since using the new 4G SIM my phone gets very hot and the battery drains in just a few hours. The only thing that has changed is replacing the old 3G SIM with the new one. 

I've taken the new SIM out and put it back into the phone again.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: New 4g SIM gets very hot and battery drains in hours

Hi ksaro1

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

Do you use a lot of data? The increase in speed due to 4G can use a bit more resource, but usually this will have minimal impact on battery life/heat so I wonder if this could be coincidental.

May I ask what make and model device you have?

Are you aware of any software updates for the device being available?

Thanks

Liam_T
Forum Team

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
ksaro1
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Liam,

Thanks for the reply. I use a Samsung galaxy S4. It has the latest updates applied.

I use my phone mostly close to my house. The area where I live has little or no 4G coverage. I have set my phone to now just use 3G and that has prolonged the battery life considerably. Also there is no overheating.

Just late night we were out to a location that had no EE coverage at all and interestingly my phone ran out of battery in just a few hours. So, it seems clear to me that these Sims use a tremendous amount of power trying to constantly find a cell tower signal.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi ksaro1,

Thanks for getting back to me.

It sounds like it indeed could be a related to the lack of reception on 4G. The same thing could apply to a 3G handset where there is little or no signal, the phone is constantly going to be searching for a stronger network.

I would be interested to know if the same thing happens in an area with better 4G coverage.

I appreciate turning the device to 3G only is not ideal but at least it allows the battery to last slightly longer.

Thanks

Liam_T
Forum Team

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos