Menu
kev_shell1999
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

New 4G sim with no 4G data speed

Hi I've just had a new 4G sim and my allowances have been updated but not data speed increase. Checked the data speed  is 10Mbs max, my phone is a sony xperia Z2 (D6503) any ideas ?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: New 4G sim with no 4G data speed

Does the phone have any manual toggle within settings for enabling or disabling 4G?

Virginia/Doctor9fan. If I have helped please give me Kudos.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi kev_shell1999

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post regarding your issues with 4G speeds.

Having owned a Sony Xperia Z2 myself I would like to check a few things with you first.

• Is the 4G or LTE icon showing at the top of your display next to your signal bars when using mobile data?
  • Go to Settings > More > Mobile networks > Preferred network type and ensure the LTE or 4G option is switched on as  mentioned.
  • If you have made any changes, you may need to reboot your device for them to take effect.

Let me know how you get on.

Thanks

Liam_T

Forum Team

Liam_T
Forum Team

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
kev_shell1999
Joining in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi LiamT, thanks for your help. The cause of the problem was that I still had some 3g data from the new data roll over. When all the 3g data was used the 4g then started to work.
0 Kudos
paperclip
Rising star
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hmmm, I wasn't aware that it worked like that, I thought as long as you were currently using 4G then any data coming through would be using the 4G faster speed.
0 Kudos
paperclip
Rising star
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Can this be confirmed that if someone has some data rollover while they were on 3G, and it's rolled over on next refresh, is the next time the user uses their mobile Web come as 3G until it runs out and will then start to use 4G speed as it will then be using the 4G data.

Going by what is on this thread then that would be the case, but I personally don't think it works like this, in my opinion as long as you have activated your 4G sim and the refresh has occurred then no matter if you are using your data rollover as long as 4G is showing at the top of the notification bar then the data should be coming down at the 4G speed and not 3G, that is if you're currently in a 4G area of course.

After you've finished all your old 3G data anyway then from then on it'll always be 4G unused data rollovers.

If I've got this wrong then I hope to be corrected, but it just didn't seem right that saved data rollover would be stored as per its speed and not per its amount.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hey paperclip

Typically data rollover applies only to our 4G packages. I'll get this fed back to the team to see if we can get some clarity on this.

Regards

Dave

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
jhuk
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Wow that may be why I am still stuck on 3G after 1month has passed, I have 100MB rolled over.

The whole process to get on 4G has been a joke including the botched online order that had to be redone on phone.

So I wonder if I use the 100MB up will I be on 4G or I need to use it all and wait 1month more...

0 Kudos
paperclip
Rising star
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I tried to cover this some days ago and the way I see it is the data rollover from 3G used while on 4G should come down the line as 4G as I'm sure it isn't saved as per speed but as per size.

So as soon as the phone has refreshed to 4g tariff it will use it unless you're not in a good reception area when it will drop to 3G.

That's how I see it anyway.
0 Kudos
jhuk
Knows their stuff
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

A few hours after my post above without me doing anything or using any of my DATA I noticed when I left the house my phone showed 4G, ran a Speedtest and got this :

Capture.JPG

0 Kudos