Menu
chamoisleather
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Need to buy a 2nd sim

I upgraded in August to a LG K8 which was a mistake. I've run out of storage space (even though I've put as much as possible on a micro SD card) and I want a bigger storage capacity. I'm thinking of buying a second-hand 32GB iPhone on eBay but I know I'll need to change my sim. 

I was told that I need to buy a nano sim for £5 that will fit in an iPhone. Is that £5 per month or a one-off fee? I'm happy with my existing tariff so don't want to change anything else. I know I'd have to keep paying my phone contract price.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Need to buy a 2nd sim

Hi chamoisleather,

so you don't actually want a second SIM (unless you want a different number).

You just want a replacement SIM in a different size (or a multi SIM).

You'll keep the same mobile number and tariff.

Give Virgin mobile customer services a call on 789 from your mobile (0345 6000 789 from any other phone) and request a replacement SIM of the correct size.

They may charge but are usually free (I think it's all down to the advisor that you speak to).

Same goes for the postage: Royal Mail at 99p or Yodel 24 hour courier service at £2.99.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

HughJarsse
Well-informed
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Assuming you want to keep the same number, and just reduce the size of sim (I assume the old LG takes a micro sim not a nano) then phone VM on 150 or 789, and explain that you want to swap the number to a smaller sim, this should cost the £5 as a one off payment for the sim.

You can tell VM whether you want to activate the sim yourself when it arrives, or have VM activate it for you (if you let VM do it, this means you will have no phone until the new sim arrives, as they do it there and then, not the best idea) If you do self activate the new one, all you do is from the old phone text 'ready' to the number supplied, and this will then start the activation. Your old sim will go dead, and the new one become live. (This may take up to 24 hours, but is usually much less, mine took about 3 hours each time)

Hope this helps..Smiley Happy

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi chamoisleather,

so you don't actually want a second SIM (unless you want a different number).

You just want a replacement SIM in a different size (or a multi SIM).

You'll keep the same mobile number and tariff.

Give Virgin mobile customer services a call on 789 from your mobile (0345 6000 789 from any other phone) and request a replacement SIM of the correct size.

They may charge but are usually free (I think it's all down to the advisor that you speak to).

Same goes for the postage: Royal Mail at 99p or Yodel 24 hour courier service at £2.99.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

chamoisleather
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your helpful reply.

0 Kudos
HughJarsse
Well-informed
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Assuming you want to keep the same number, and just reduce the size of sim (I assume the old LG takes a micro sim not a nano) then phone VM on 150 or 789, and explain that you want to swap the number to a smaller sim, this should cost the £5 as a one off payment for the sim.

You can tell VM whether you want to activate the sim yourself when it arrives, or have VM activate it for you (if you let VM do it, this means you will have no phone until the new sim arrives, as they do it there and then, not the best idea) If you do self activate the new one, all you do is from the old phone text 'ready' to the number supplied, and this will then start the activation. Your old sim will go dead, and the new one become live. (This may take up to 24 hours, but is usually much less, mine took about 3 hours each time)

Hope this helps..Smiley Happy