Menu
sjain29
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Need some help with SIM cards

Hello,

I have an old and new phone. I got a SIM for the new phone and downgraded the plan for my old phone (as a backup), which required a new SIM.

The SIMs arrived, so I take them out and read carefully. The new SIM for my old phone is activated according to the packaging. So I take out the old one and slot it in. It works, there is signal.

Then I put the new SIM for my new phone in the phone. It works, but there is no signal, which is expected as the packaging indicated it wasn't activated.

So as it says on the leaflets included, I need to use my old SIM to text a message for my old phone to activate it.

Realising my mistake, I take out the new one out and put it in the old one. I text 'READY' (without quotes) to 789678 instructed, but it says "Failed to send". I try again, but it doesn't work so I text someone else to check if the SIM actually works, and it sends perfectly.

So I try the second option, which is to activate it by logging into https://www.virginmobile.com/activate.

It just says "501 Service unavailable".

To confirm the mobile activation services (or whatever is responsible) is down for everyone else, I google "Virgin Media status updates" and "Virgin Mobile status updates"

All I get it a MyVirginMedia page, requiring a login, and even after logging in there is nothing about Virgin Mobile. Is there actually any webpage which actually lists the service status of all the Virgin Media services? A little confirmation that there is something wrong is enough for me to stay patient, but there are no details anywhere. Even on the main page, it's just the same.

I would appreciate any help on how to get the SIMs activated, and how to recover if I have done anything in the wrong order.
0 Kudos
sjain29
Tuning in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Update

Bump: The new and old SIM for the old phone no longer work.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Need some help with SIM cards

Hi sjain29,

give customer services a call (789 from a working Virgin mobile) or 0345 6000 789 from any other phone and ask them to activate the SIM for you.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

Superuser1718.png
0 Kudos
mad4amanda
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Can I ask if your new sim was activated when sent out did your old sim still work while you were awaiting its arrival?
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hey sjain29

I'm sorry to learn about the problems you've been experiencing in activating your new SIM recently.

If you've still not completed this, I'd recommend logging into your My Virgin Mobile and take a look around for the activation link in the plan & device tab. If you're not seeing anything in that tab then I'd have to ask you give our team a call on 789 from any Virgin mobile or 0345 6000 789 from any other.

I'd love to hear how you get on.

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Onashas
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I am sorry to hear it ,you must let me know if have something happend

0 Kudos