Menu
johngutt
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Nearly three weeks and no 4g

What a hopeless service. Had to get Sc to activate Sim card (iPhone 7).

Nothing happened. Sc puzzled try various things. Still not working. Say they'll raise a ticket. Answer in two working days. Nothing happens except loose mobile data. Call again and they say ah no takes 5 working days raise another ticket. They don't seem to realise purpose of mobile phone is to use when away from home. They suggest making use of VM Wifi  but don't understand that a data signal is required to do this.Ask to speak to manager but of course he's in a meeting. Go to Virgin Bromley shop. Very helpful but puzzled. Try another 4g sim. No change. Very apologetic. Agree 4g should have been available as soon as sim activated. Eventually get mobile data back but only 3g. In central London yesterday and check out various locations and still only 3g so not signal problem. Call 789 again this morning . Says he'll do something and all will be ok in two hours max. Of course no change. Other posts here show others have problem but CS not aware. Seen suggestions here that doesn't work until refresh date but leaflet sent with sim simply says activate sim follow three simple steps and you'll be flying in no time

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Nearly three weeks and no 4g

Hi johngutt, 

Thank you for getting back to me, I really can’t answer why no one had advised this would be the case, and it saddens me to see that you have had all of this frustration for something that could have saved time and frustration for you by simply just checking your account properly. 

I complete believe that this will activate on the refresh date, there is another issue that it can be the data has to be manually refreshed once the 4G service is activated, this isn’t affecting all of the new sim cards, I can do this for you just in case you are affected by this also. 

I’m going to send you a private message to obtain some information about the account so that I can get this fixed for you on the 9th. 

To pick the message up please click on the envelope on the top right hand corner. 

Chat to you soon , 

Kelly 

All Replies
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

If you have changed from 3G to 4G then it will work on 4G when your account refreshes, whatever it says on the leaflet.

If you are past the refresh date then there is a problem

0 Kudos
johngutt
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. If this is so why does no one in Virgin Shops or the call centre know anything about it?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi johngutt, 

I’m really sorry to see that you’re having such a frustrating time with your 4G service activating, one thing I wanted to check with you, When you are issued with a 4G sim card it will not activate until your next refresh date after you received the sim card, has your refresh data came and gone since you received the sim card? 

If you’re unsure let me know and ill check your account for you, I will have to private message you to obtain the account information, but I’d be more than happy to have a look. 

If it has past I can also find out why it hasn’t activated and have a look at these IT tickets that was raised. 

I hope to speak to you soon, 

Kelly 

0 Kudos
johngutt
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks 

I think the refresh date is probably December 9.

If the refresh date is the key why does nobody know about it. I spent an hour in the Virgin shop and they checked all the account details. Equally the refresh date was never mentioned in the numerous calls to the call centre and the information sent with the Sim implies instant activation and no mention of delay to activation date.

incidentally all this was on top of my upgrade being turned into a new contract which the shop eventually managed to sort out.

As someone who spends nearly £200 a month with Virgin Media I m not very impressed. Perhaps some staff training is required!

Thanks for your intervention

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi johngutt, 

Thank you for getting back to me, I really can’t answer why no one had advised this would be the case, and it saddens me to see that you have had all of this frustration for something that could have saved time and frustration for you by simply just checking your account properly. 

I complete believe that this will activate on the refresh date, there is another issue that it can be the data has to be manually refreshed once the 4G service is activated, this isn’t affecting all of the new sim cards, I can do this for you just in case you are affected by this also. 

I’m going to send you a private message to obtain some information about the account so that I can get this fixed for you on the 9th. 

To pick the message up please click on the envelope on the top right hand corner. 

Chat to you soon , 

Kelly 

KAPN
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

This has happened on my young sons account, we have upgraded his sim to 4g but it only ever shows 3G on his iPhone 6. He has had 2 replacement sims, and waiting for a ticket call as the shop and the technical line don't know what's wrong. Also went the Apple shop to check it wasn't the phone, which it wasn't.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi KAPN,

Thanks for taking the time to post. Please accept my apologies for not receiving 4G.

I'm looking into this for you and should have an update in the next few days. Once I do I'll update this thread.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi KAPN,

Thanks for your patience while I investigated this. I can confirm this has been resolved for you.

It should work automatically but sometimes a restart of the handset is needed. You may also need to check the handset is set for 4G by following these steps:-

Settings > Cellular > Enable 4G/LTE

Has this worked?

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
KAPN
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi this has been going on since July, Virgin store checked all the settings, they were enabled to 4G. So they said to take the iPhone to the apple shop which I did and they confirmed the phone was fine because they took the sim out of the phone and put it into their store one and it was only showing 3G on theirs even though 4g was enabled on the phone and through the shops wifi. My son has the phone with him at the moment so I will restart it when he comes back, thanks.
0 Kudos