Menu
jlc1964
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Mystery roaming texts 0044795######

Following a visit to France, seven charges of 1p appeared on my bill as texts to 0044795#########. I'd never heard of this number. The time given for two of the texts coincided with two times that I had texted 23456 to find out how much data I had left (which didn't work anyway).

I rang Virgin today. The man (Archie) I spoke to assured me that the texts were genuine and refused to confirm that the number was anything to do with Virgin, though I cited who-called.co.uk and posts to this community. He attempted to remove the charges from my account but Virgin's system apparently wouldn't get him remove the charges, saying they were genuine. By then we'd been on the phone for 20 minutes, so at my request he promised to sort it out and call me back. I've heard nothing further.

Pursuing it isn't worth it for 7p, Instead I'm logging this in the hope that if enough people complain about these charges Virgin will acknowledge and rectify the problem.

Jenny

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Kfield1
Joining in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Mystery roaming texts 0044795######

I have 4 charges of 1p to this same number 0044795#########. I have been to Germany and not made any calls or Texts and my roaming is switched off. It is only 4p but if Virgin are charging on a regular basis they must be making a fair bit of unauthorised money!

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kfield1

I'm sorry to hear about your difficulties clarifying the extra charges on your bill. I'd like to look into this for you so I've sent you a private message. It can be viewed by clicking on the envelope in the top right.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Dave

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
jlc1964
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dave

Assuming that "Forum Team" means your work for Virgin, can you advise how I can get a member of the Virgin team to look into my extra charges? I'm glad someone is looking into KField1's issue, but unsure why I'm not getting the same response?

Thank you

0 Kudos
imogene
Up to speed
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

It's probably the default roaming SMS number that appears regardless of which number you actually sent it to. I.e. if you sent a message to your mum, it would still show up as the default number if you did it when roaming.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi jlc1964, 

Really sorry to hear of the problems you are facing and sorry that you had no response. I will drop you a private message so I can look into this for you further. Keep an eye out for the purple envelope in the top right. 

Look forward to hearing from you soon. 

Thanks 

Mike 

0 Kudos