Thank you,

I’ve done that so I’ll see how I get on
0 Kudos
kriswilson
Joining in
Message 22 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Re: My phone doesnt ring, but goes to voice mail

Tried all the suggestions and still i'm being told by customers they just get an engaged tone when calling my phone. No option to leave voicemail. 

I am none the wiser, no missed calls, no notification of callers trying to get through. 

Fed up with it now. Total waste of time, money and effort.

0 Kudos
AndyCoffin
On our wavelength
Message 23 of 29
Flag for a moderator

There seems to be a major issue with the 4g service at the moment, theres posts with people suffering here, on plusnet and on ee. basically the bug is preventing the phones from downgrading from 4g to 3g when it receives calls. the only workaround ive found that works is to set your phone to 3g/2g only. yes you can then receive calls as normal but you loose the high speed internet.

Oh and im also suffering from the problem although my missus isn't and we are both on the same package..... very bizarre.

so far ive done a full factory reset, new sim and most likely spoken to every single tec person they have both in the uk and the "offshore" centre (seriously ive logged something like 40 calls now) 

------------------------------------------
When I was a child, my speech, feelings, and thinking were all those of a child. Now that I am a man, I have no more use for childish ways.

The Puppet Master .
0 Kudos
kriswilson
Joining in
Message 24 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Andy, 

Just to respond to your message, I have just spent an hour with Apple and can confirm the problem with switching between 4G/3G is not device driven. 

We tested my device numerous times and each time I received the error, the Virgin sim was at fault. I was also told that its the carrier that decides whether or not the 4G service can provide voice and data or data alone... My thinking now that Virgin limit 4G to data only hence the requirement to drop to 3G to receive a call.

0 Kudos
enlli
Super solver
Message 25 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Actually the requirement to drop to 3G is common to all networks. If the provider does allow voice it is only the phones with VOLTE that don't and then they must have the carriers own firmware. At present this is small in number.

0 Kudos
kriswilson
Joining in
Message 26 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Hi Enlli, 

That's interesting as that's total contrary to what the Apple store have said.

0 Kudos
enlli
Super solver
Message 27 of 29
Flag for a moderator

On 3 which uses VOLTE on the 800MHz frequency iphones are given a carrier updated to do so.  However, if there is only 1800Mhz 4G available the phone will drop back to 3G.

If you take the Andriod S8 then this will do VOLTE  provided it has 3's firmware. Stock S8 phones will fall back. 

Similar arrangements work on EE which Virgin uses.

The ability to fall back is part of the requirements all networks have to agree to and implement.

0 Kudos
kriswilson
Joining in
Message 28 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Once again, i appreciate you taking the time to help. 

You may or may not know this but when at my office my phone switches between "virgin" and "Virgin" as the network. I.e. there is two options available when manually selecting. It seems to be when i'm on the foremost "virgin" network is when i'm having the call issue...   Should this be the case? Why is there more than one option? is one incorrect?

0 Kudos
enlli
Super solver
Message 29 of 29
Flag for a moderator

I thought that issue had well gone, but obviously not.

Virgin used to run on the old T-Mobile. When T-Mobile and Orange merged to form EE Virgin was eventually given access to the Orange network.
You could tell which one you were on T-Mobile showed up as Virgin whilst Orange showed up as virgin. 

Slowly EE began integrating the network and the instances of this happening diminished. In your case you are connecting to one of two masts - one ex T-Mobile and the other Orange. Looks like EE still have not got their act totally together.

So I would say the lack of fallback is a network issue.

0 Kudos