Menu
budge712
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

My handset is broken, is it more cost effective just to replace it with a new one ?

My handset is broken, is it more cost effective just to replace it with a new one ?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: My handset is broken, is it more cost effective just to replace it with a new one ?

Hi budge712,

Welcome to the communitySmiley Happy

Sorry to hear you've broken your handset.

You phone maybe covered by our insurance policy. You can log into Your Account click the plans and device tab and you have an option to put the phone in for repair.

If you are not covered by our policy then you could look at alternative options like getting the handset repaired or buying an alternative. Its really down to yourself and what you feel its worth doing.

We have many mobiles available on our website here if your interested.

Let us know if there's anything else we can help with.

Many thanks

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: My handset is broken, is it more cost effective just to replace it with a new one ?

budge712 wrote:

Without more information, it's hard to tell.

What model of handset is it? How long do you have left on your contract? What level of insurance (if any) do you have?

If you're on the free insurance, it's almost certainly more cost effective to replace the handset. Depending on the model, it will cost up to £150 to get it replaced on insurance. It might be possible to get it repaired if it's still in warranty, but it would have to be a manufacturing fault, and it's very hard to get VM (or indeed any mobile carrier) to accept liability for broken phones.

0 Kudos
budge712
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks to Gorf & Stephen B, the staff in the Virgin shop in Preston managed to fix the problem & the handset is now OK.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi budge712,

Thanks for keeping us updated.

I'm really pleased to hear the phone has now been fixed.

Please let us know if there's anything else we can help with.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
Solitaire1
Dialled in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

You're right there Gorf.  Virgin will use any ploy they can to get out of repairing or replacing a broken/faulty phone. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Solitaire1 wrote:

You're right there Gorf.  Virgin will use any ploy they can to get out of repairing or replacing a broken/faulty phone. 

To be fair, it's only the same as every other mobile provider.

In this house we have Virgin, Three, Vodafone, T Mobile and GiffGaff. The last one doesn't count because it's a SIM-only deal. Virgin doesn't count because I have no direct experience of their repair facility. The other three have all blamed "water damage" for iPhone faults on handsets which have never been near water.

0 Kudos