Menu
chris_chill
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

My Phone Broke!

After only fourteen years, I'm outraged! <G>

OK thought I, I'll buy a new phone and pop the SIM in . . . nope, the new phone takes micro SIMS unlike the previous steam powered version. So now I need a new SIM. Oh but hang on, I can't ring you because the PHONE IS BROKEN and I can't email you because you no longer have an email address.

Obviously I can't get the contact list off my old SIM. Can I change the new phone to the old number? It appears not as I can't switch the old phone on because it is BROKEN. Anyway it's in my late mother's name which I didn't bother to change when she died and I inherited it, which I can't change anyway.

So I start afresh but lose the £38 still on my old SIM. And it looks like your PAYG SIMS only work in phones you provide???

Please can you unconfuse me?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: My Phone Broke!

Hi chris_chill,

it's actually really easy. I just used a free "multi SIM" as a template. Poped out the Micro size. Placed it over the top of my Virgin SIM.

Drew around the shape with a pen and cut it out with scissors. (As my SIM was really old, I even trimmed a bit of the gold bit but it still works perfectly Smiley Happy )

Untitled (2).jpg

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

Superuser1718.png
0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi chris_chill,

Virgin Mobile PAYG SIM's will work in any Virgin or unlocked mobile.

You could always consider trimming your Mini SIM down to Micro size then you can continue to use it in your new phone.

Sounds a little scary but it's really easy to do. I've done this myself with my own SIM.

Superuser1718.png
0 Kudos
chris_chill
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Ah, obviously I misunderstood a previous reply I just read, yes the new phone is unlocked.

Simply hadn't considered cutting the current SIM. Do I feel lucky? 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi chris_chill,

it's actually really easy. I just used a free "multi SIM" as a template. Poped out the Micro size. Placed it over the top of my Virgin SIM.

Drew around the shape with a pen and cut it out with scissors. (As my SIM was really old, I even trimmed a bit of the gold bit but it still works perfectly Smiley Happy )

Untitled (2).jpg

Superuser1718.png
0 Kudos
chris_chill
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

My old phone was an Ericcson made of iron. Up until now the service from Virgin was equally ironclad, it just . . . worked.

Well I succeeded in trimming the SIM but the new phone can't see it, so I wonder if Virgin have cancelled it without telling me. Or maybe they sent me a text telling me they'd cancelled it which I never got because it was cancelled.

Duh!

Well I need a new SIM anyway for the 4g and trendy stuff.

Thanks for trying to help though!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi chris_chill,

I wouldn't have thought that Virgin Mobile would have cancelled the number (unless it has been inactive for longer than three months).

Even so, your new phone should be able to see it and read any contacts that are stored on the SIM. Try refitting it in your device.

As it is registered to your late mother, I think that you will struggle obtaining a new replacement with the credit and same number.

Currently only Pay Monthly customers can get Virgin's new 4G Smiley Sad

Superuser1718.png
0 Kudos
chris_chill
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Ah well, time to move on I think, reading around it looks like Virgin have become big enough to be complacent and more interested in penny pinching than service. Outsourcing support to the Third World and customers, for example, you folks seem to do an excellent job presumably without being paid to do so.

I find it vaguely ridiculous that they cannot be emailed. I can understand no longer using Telex or Fax, but email???

The SIM seems to have been completely blanked, maybe the phone shot lots of current through it in its death throes, or I walked past the nuclear power station once too often.

At least with a new number I may get fewer nuisance calls  . . . for a while. That'll be worth the hassle of contacting friends and businesses, besides I can wish them Merry Christmas at the same time as giving them a new number! 

Plus with someone else I may be able to get 4g from the start.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi chris_chill

Thanks for taking the time to join our community and get in touch. I'm sorry to hear about the difficulties with your SIM card and the new handset.

As a general rule we don't advise physically cutting the SIM card as this can cause physical damage to it albeit inadvertently. In this instance a SIM card replacement may be required or it may be an issue with the SIM card reader on the handset itself.

If you can give our team a ring we can take a closer look at both the SIM and your handset. They can be contacted on 150 from any Virgin landline or 0345 6000 789 from any other number.

Let me know how it goes.

Dave

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos