Menu
aprings63
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 64
Flag for a moderator

My 2 Virgin mobiles wouldn't work while I was abroad

I recently travelled to France, my daughter was visiting Spain, both mobiles are on my account.  Last year her mobile did not work in Spain so knowing the risk of this happening again given Virgin's (in my experience) poor record (even though on my online account it says both numbers are set up to roam abroad, the usual pack your bags your ready to travel comment), I called Virgin a week before travelling.  2-3 times I explicitly asked if both numbers would work abroad and stressed the importance of this, being able to keep in touch with my daughter.  I was assured both were set up to work abroad.

Of course the second we turn them on in France/Spain resoectively we have no service.  I spent 17 minutes calling the pointless overseas call centre from France and was told a setting had not been correctly set for both numbers, it would be corrected and would take up to 24 hours to take effect.  I was amazed, why is it wrong, why so long etc  I was told that's it, nothing else we can do, it will work within 24 hours.

24 hours later, yes the usual effective work of the overseas call centre, no service still.  I called again, the same routine of Q&A to realise they had no idea what to do before putting me through to technical in the UK, please don't I asked if there's a massive queue, as I'm on my wife's mobile, there's no queue he assured me ............. 15-20minutes later I got through.  Turns out there are 2 different settings to set in order for the phone to work abroad (amazing, I had 15 years with O2 travelling to countries in Europe, US, Africa, never a hitch) and the overseas call cente didn't do both.  The update would be done but I was told it may not take effect until I return to the UK then it will work next time I am abroad.  Of course it didn't work, so neither of us had service on our 3 and 5 day trips abroad.

So what next?  Will my phone really work next time I am abroad in June?  No way of knowing until the plane lands I suppose, pointless asking Virgin for any guarantees before I leave.

I also contacted Virgin for their comments, via the Contact Us email service under My Account on the website on 30 March and updated my comments yesterday  Sweet F.All comment back from Virgin.  Speedy service as always.

Can anyone please advise me, does this lack of service (phones not working abroad, misleading assurances and negligence/ignorance of the Virgin call centres) amount to a breach by Virgin so that I can cancel and return to O2?  I have 3 phones on my account with between 12 and 20 months left on their 24 month contracts.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Krystal_E
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 64
Flag for a moderator

Re: My 2 Virgin mobiles wouldn't work while I was abroad

Hi aprings63,

Being from the technical team I hope I can provide some explanation as to why this may have happened. The system that general and billing agents have access to can sometimes show roaming as active and sometimes this message doesn't get through to the network so is still inactive at the network side (which is the side that matters).

The technical team are the only ones that can access the network side and see this information and thus why they would then activate it for you.

The technical agent was correct - if we activate the roaming service when you're abroad, the service won't potentially activate either due to being blocked from the network aborad due to trying to connect when you weren't allowed to (this could be up to 24 hours or longer depending) or may need to go back to the UK for the sim card to fully update on our systems.

I can understand your frustration with believing all was fine and can only apologise for this - if the technical team confirmed roaming is now active on the network then you should be fine next time.

Many thanks for your time.

Krystal Evans
Mobile Help & Support Forum Team

0 Kudos
aprings63
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 64
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for trying but this service is still pathetic.  Online my account says my phones are ready to use abroad, I also call virgin for confirmation and I'm told its all ready to go.

Why allow your general/billing agents to answer such questions if they are likely to give incorrect answers?  Don't you see the inadequacy of that and the frustration it causes?  They should be told they do not have the ability to answer and should put the caller through to technical.

Its also pathetic that you have to take the effort to speak to technical to find out if virgin have done you the privilege of allowing you to use the phone that you are paying for while abroad.  Have you any idea how long it takes to get through to your team?  Your so called agents go through their annoying time wasting Q&A before agreeing to pass a customer through to technical.  You are then in a queue for anything (in my recent experience) between 10 and 40 minutes before you get through to technical. 

aprings63
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 64
Flag for a moderator

Below is the answer I got by email from virgin a week after I sought an explanation.  This is also pathetic.  Firstly it makes it sound like it was my error/problem that meant I could not get my phone working abroad.  Secondly, it is one of the worst written communications I have ever read.  I have no idea what most of the email means particularly the second paragraph.  And as for the last paragraph that's beyond me, do I have to wait for 5 instances of your service f..king up before I am allowed to call technical?  Please explain?  As I said, the email is beyond me.  I would be embarrassed to work for an organisation that sent such rubbish to its customers.  Here you go:

Thanks for contacting us regarding your Virgin Mobile service, i'm sorry
you've not been able to get your roaming services working properly.

I've checked the account and it all seems to be active so should be 
working, i've removed this and reapplied the service which can fix this 
issue but i would also recommend to remove the battery and leave it out 
for 30 minutes then put it back in and try again. 

If your still having issues you would need to report 5 instances to our 
technical team by calling them on +44 7953 967 967 to report this.

Kind regards

Alan Austin
Customer Complaint
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 64
Flag for a moderator

Hi aprings63,

When they remove or readd the service, if the service wasn't on at the network before, it will be now as it sends a new message to the network so you should be fine.

In all honesty, they should have made the response a little clearer for you - I'd say you can still call to speak to the tech team to make sure it's on there for your piece of mind. If you have any issues when you're abroad you can call +447953967967 there to resolve.

The 5 instances is used more if we've ruled out the handset or sim causing the problem and it's down to a network issue we can't locate - so we need examples of it - but at this stage (and given they've turned roaming off and on you should be fine, as I state above).

Hope that clarifies things.

Many thanks.

Krystal Evans

0 Kudos
erny97
Joining in
Message 6 of 64
Flag for a moderator

I have the same issue. I'm in the US and realized that my Motorola RAZR i just does not connect to any networks. Then realized that according to Virgin I would need to have been using their services for 3 months before my mobile would work abroad or I would need to add 50 pounds to my account. Of course the site where I can do that was down. Next day I could add the 50 pounds and my account says that roaming is switched on. I switched my phone on and off, re-inserted the SIM, but nothing, it never connects to anything - back in the UK it worked fine.

I've sent two emails to virgin, both time I got the automatic reply that they will answer as soon as they can but nothing happened. 

So I was without a phone for a whole week. I never had this issue with Vodafone though I've been all around the world. Did not realize that switching to Virgin will mean issues like that. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
erny97
Joining in
Message 7 of 64
Flag for a moderator

Now that I'm back I called virgin and they said that I should have called them to activate roaming. Smiley Happy

I asked why on earth does my viring account says "Your Roaming is: Switched on - Pack your bags you're ready to go!" if I still need to call them, but of course got no proper answer.

It's not the phone line support's fault if that is the case, but the people who are creating the online account.

Not to mention that I did not see this written anywhere on the support site. All I found was what I mentioned in my previous post.

I'm still worried though if now roaming will really work the next time I'm going abroad. We'll see. :-s

0 Kudos
guychris
Settling in
Message 8 of 64
Flag for a moderator

Same here....i work abroad weekly and have had trouble from day 1 with virgin, when i call the virgin team i get useless information and told i'll be called back , this has now been 3 months and still no contact!!

This is a joke of a customer service dept, and really bringing down the Virgin Brand....

Ten days ago a tech guy said he would call back within 5 days.....ha!!   classic....am still waiting.

But the good news is that in 3 weeks my contract with virgin tv and broadband comes to an end so i can go to SKY.  Yipee.....

Adios Virgin and all the lies.

dbeach
Dialled in
Message 9 of 64
Flag for a moderator

Re: when I call I get useless information,&told I'l b called bak,now been3months and stil no contact

the customer service me & my wife have received for well over half of this year has been absolute joke too, be it frm cs or tech sup. In fact the only time I've ever had a response in follow up to a "we'll call you back" was when I was unable to ring Orange's voicemail number when my other (wrks) number was out of coverage & was aware had a voicemail to pickup due to the spool icon (yes, this was even in the days when Orange & T-mob were sharingb2G signal, don't ask me how!) & for reasons best known to network techies in Virgin some sticky tape came unstuck to allow me to ring that number (said number not recognised) yet that number could be reached from landlines & other mob networks! That one was sorted fairly quickly & efficiently. I'm still awaiting feedback reassurance on recent billing/over quota/out of bundle oddities on my customisation since Aug! Have no faith euro travel pass issues will be sorted/unremarkable such is the deafening silence from Virgin Mob. Why am I still with Virgin I ask myself? Probably coz no one can currently better them for cost/tariff.. *sigh* Anyone who week for Virgin listening by any chance..?!
Virgin 30day sim only
100Mb Broadband, SH2,
Tivo 500Gb, V-HD, TV M+ Landline
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 10 of 64
Flag for a moderator

Re: when I call I get useless information,&told I'l b called bak,now been3months and stil no con

Hi dbeach,

If you've been experiencing issues with your billing since August, I can appreciate you must be highly frustrated. Please can you respond to my private message.

Many thanks.

Krystal Evans

0 Kudos