Menu
Jack765
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Moved and cant get a virgin mobile signal in new flat and fibreoptic connection not available

Hi,

I have been moved to a Bristol as a military assignment and I can't get a virgin phone signal in my flat while I watch people on other networks sat next to me making calls. I also asked about moving the broadband and Virgin TV that we had at the previous address but my flat can not be connected to fibreoptic cable. When I asked about having my mobile phone number PAC made available so I could move to a company that does provide a decent service in the Bristol area (eg Vodaphone) I was told that I would be billed hundreds of pounds for breaking contract - my question is can that be legal when Virgin are unable to meet their end of the contract?

I visited the local virgin shop but was told those are the rules and when I pointed out my position the Manger complained that I was talking as if he was responsible for the companies rules and there was nothing he could do, which is the kind of uncommitted attitude I hate and keep finding in Britain - if you wear the company logo and represent them to the customer either have faith and commitment in your company or quit and work for someone or something you do believe in.

Has anyone else taken virgin to smallclaimns court on N001 action for inability to provide the service they are charging for and if so how easy was it to win?

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Moved and cant get a virgin mobile signal in new flat and fibreoptic connection not available

Regretfully, the networks have no obligation to supply you with a universal service. Provided the mobile phone works somewhere nearby they do not have to do anything and that is usually what they do. 

Your scenario was discussed by the communications committee in parliament recently because it is a common complaint - but no action is forthcoming.

Not what you want to hear, I'm sure.

If anybody works in a job that requires moving around I always recommend buying their own unlocked phone and using 30 day SIM only deals.

I've been doing that for 5 years now and it has worked out cheaper than contract.

0 Kudos
Jack765
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Moved and cant get a virgin mobile signal in new flat and fibreoptic connection not available

Thanks Enlli, Will follow the advice once I get out of this mess.

As the offcom rules will not cover it I will see how it sits with the armed forces charter. If I wasn't drafted all over the country I wouldn't keep having to pay out for contractors that cant supply the service in a new area so their rip off may be covered. At worst I may be able to embarrass and give some bad PR to virgin on the way they prey on service personnel by charging for a service they cant provide to personnel with no choice but to move when drafted. The British public have some simpathy for uniform personnel so even if not legally covered it may raise awareness so less people are tricked into using virgin without realizing what they are like.

I do think the phone companies miss a trick in brand customer loyalty as, if I have to buy out  in this situation then like most people I will never use that company again on principle so they are not doing themselves any long term favours - but then customer service is a thing of the past and as consumers as a mass put up with it we cant expect much else.

0 Kudos
Jack765
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Shame I used virgin as when I was drafted to a rural location in the past that vodaphone had no coverage for they said as they couldn't provide the service it wouldn't be fair to charge us and we were free to change to a company that could allow us to make calls. Doesn't appear to normal people any more tha n you would expect a company to do but it is a lot more than virgin will. Given that as soon as I get away from virgin then vodaphone will be my first preference so I know they will be reasonable if the MOD moves me to the other end of the country again.
0 Kudos
Jack765
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I'm guessing though that the fact they cant put fibre optics into my flat must breach the terms of providing a service as they charge for subscription tv that they cant provideat all.

0 Kudos