Menu
Superuser
Superuser
Message 1 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Motorola Moto G 3rd generation

Anyone know if a Motorola Moto G (3rd generation) sim free phone will work on VM mobile with the simply 8 tariff sim?

Thanks. 

Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Re: Motorola Moto G 3rd generation

I know the 2nd gen (mine) does and the G4 Plus does (sons) so I would assume the 3rd gen would be fine.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that. Any comments, pros or cons on these phones gratefully received.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Ive owned the 2nd gen for a couple of years and its a cracking handset. Showing its age now, especially in the camera department, but still runs fast and smooth. They get Android updates quickly and Moto have a light touch -no bloatware.

When it came to getting my teenager a handset, I gave him a few options but having been impressed with my Moto G, he chose the G4 plus. Hes had it for a month and a half and is VERY pleased- it runs quicker than most of his friends, camera is decent and Pokémon GO and Ingress fly along on it. Its worth getting a model with 2gig of RAM - I'm not so convinced about the G4 plus over the G4 or Play though.

Downside- no NFC so no possibility of using it for quickpay or whatever- not relevant to my son, but worthwhile knowing if its for yourself. The one big advantage of the plus is it comes with a Qualcomm compatible quick charger which works really well.

Camera still isn't "best in class" but its as good as you need. The display is excellent and the G4 does 1080p streaming over WiFi without breaking sweat.

TBH I think they are hard to beat for quality,value and updates. Go much cheaper and your in to dodgy build quality or dealing with chinese firmware.

The only thing I would say is there are other options out there- It used to be the only decent value handset, but there are new kids on the block like the Kazaam range, and the pretender to the throne seems to be Elephone-

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/review/android-smartphones/elephone-p9000-review-3636611/

Oneplus is another decent contender, harder to get hold of though.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your comments, that is great input.  I currently use a 'non smart' Samsung phone on which the calendar does not extend beyond the end of this year.  I really only use the mobile for the occasional phone call and text messages, but I do use the calendar a lot.  I have a tablet which covers the 'smart' side of things, so have a dilemma. Go for another 'non smart' cheap phone (not that the E900 was that cheap when I got it) or a not so cheap sim free smart phone.  Having looked at the upgrades available from VM they are few and far between and quite frankly rubbish compared to what is offered to new customers.

O dear, what to do! 

Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 27
Flag for a moderator

I think without stating it explicitly, you've arrived at what IMHO is the best option- ignore your upgrade options, buy a SIM free handset and go SIM only.  FAR easier to chop and change network if you need to. And if you go abroad and find theres issues with roaming, pop a local sim in and away you go.

For the usage you describe, I would not go any higher than the 3rd Gen MOTO you are looking at, the G4 is going to be overkill.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Do you think I would be able to get a micro sim card from VM on my current Simply 8 tariff, if I buy a sim free phone from elsewhere? 

Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Hi Graham_A,

definitely, just give the Virgin mobile team a call on 789 from your mobile or 0345 6000 789 from any other phone & ask for a replacement SIM.

Tell them that you have a new phone that need a "micro" size or ask for a new "multi SIM" (3 in 1) then you can just pop it out to the appropriate size.

Or you could even do as I did and trim it down to size yourself (sounds scary but really easy).

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Just to back up AlexKid, that's exactly what I did, requested a new sim and they sent the 3 in 1, bish bash bosh off you go.

Ive two SIM's in my Moto 2nd Gen and it works really well, just have to remember what allowances I have on each SIM...

Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Hi Graham_A,

I use a dual SIM phone too on a Simply 8p tariff and Kippies comment on "remembering what allowances are on each SIM" made me think.

Are you able to monitor your 50 free Virgin Mobile minutes?

Mine don't show up on "My account". Neither are they mentioned when I check my balance by calling 789.

I guess that the minutes refresh at the beginning of each month and it's just luck / judgement that I stay within them.

Is this the same for you?

AlexKid :-)

0 Kudos