Menu
davebradley
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Moto G unable to read sim card warning symbol.

Hi, i recently upgraded my phone to the Moto G (1st Gen) and was supplied a new nano sim with the same phone number, most days when i check my phone i keep seeing "unable to read sim card warning symbol.", the only way to get the phone to read the card is to take out the sim and put it back in!! not certain if this is a phone or software or sim card problem ? any help would be appreciated. 

0 Kudos
dazm33
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Moto G unable to read sim card warning symbol.

Moto G is a micro sim not a nano sim 

0 Kudos
davebradley
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

My Apologies dazm33 ! 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi davebradley,

Thanks for posting. I'm very sorry to hear you're having problems with the handset being unable to read the SIM card.

You can check for updates by following these steps:-

Menu > Settings > About Phone > System Updates

If any updates are available then it'll instruct you to download them.

You could also give the SIM card a quick wipe and make sure there's no dust by the SIM card reader. Don't do any more than that to avoid damaging the phone.

Where did you get the handset from?

Are you able to test the SIM card in another handset?

This would reveal whether the culprit is the phone or SIM card. Please let me know and I'll happily assist further.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
jhuk
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I was getting this last week but also no signal warning, I am sure its down to VM's recent poor coverage in my area and many areas as its now working again but speeds are under 0.4Mb/s all the time.

In my case its not the phone (Moto X 2014) or Sim as it was fine before and since.

davebradley
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rich, the phone was upgraded only a few weeks ago after ringing Virgin Media free on my old blackberry mobile , ( was promised a Moto G gen 2 but that's another tale of woe !) it has all the latest updates ( including updating to Lollipop ) have cleaned the sim but the problem still persists, have narrowed it down to when the phone is in my trouser pocket when out walking !! cannot test the sim as its a small sim and won't fit the old blackberry, kind regards Dave Bradley.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dave,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I've checked your area coverage here and it's not brilliant. I've also checked your local masts and I can see there has been 1 service affecting fault which may not have been helping.

You may be blocking the antenna whilst it's in your pocket but what good is a phone if it doesn't get signal in your pocket.

If the problems persists I'd recommend calling our team on 789 from a Virgin Mobile or 0345 6000 789 from any other phone. They'll be able to look at things further and make a decision whether it's poor area signal, SIM or handset fault.

Please let me know how you get on.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos