Menu
mtheobald
Joining in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Moto G 4G upgrade to Lollipop

Just wondered if anyone knows when the Moto G 4G (XT1039) will get the upgrade to Android Lollipop?

My phone is on system version 21.11.56.peregrine_retgb.retgball.en.GBretgb.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Moto G 4G upgrade to Lollipop

You will get it straight from Motorola.

Moto G 4G is going straight to Lollipop 5.1 and is being tested now.

Follow their support forums for info, Lollipop update info is the first thread on the forum.
https://forums.motorola.com/hives/3ba9b2429c/summary
---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.

All Replies
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You will get it straight from Motorola.

Moto G 4G is going straight to Lollipop 5.1 and is being tested now.

Follow their support forums for info, Lollipop update info is the first thread on the forum.
https://forums.motorola.com/hives/3ba9b2429c/summary
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

If you click through to the link above it tells you how progressed the official upgrades are.

Updated 3/06/2015: All users on Retail Germany, Retail France, Retail EU and O2 Germany can now download and install Android 5.0.2. Users with Retail GB and the following Sim Locked devices (Retail EU (Ireland), SFR, Tesco GB, Vodafone GB, Everything Everywhere GB, and O2 GB) will receive notifications about updating the Motorola Update Services app via Google Play Store in preparation for a future OS upgrade.

0 Kudos
mtheobald
Joining in
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the informative and speedy reply, I'll keep an eye on the thread you provided a link to.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Clicking through to the link above will give you OFFICIAL upgrade status

Updated 3/06/2015: All users on Retail Germany, Retail France, Retail EU and O2 Germany can now download and install Android 5.0.2. Users with Retail GB and the following Sim Locked devices (Retail EU (Ireland), SFR, Tesco GB, Vodafone GB, Everything Everywhere GB, and O2 GB) will receive notifications about updating the Motorola Update Services app via Google Play Store in preparation for a future OS upgrade.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hmm I may have some system issues this evening- please ignore duplicate post.

0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kippies

Just for info, the text you pasted is for the 3g model, the 4g model info is a little further down in the post
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Okay then maybe "system operator" issues instead of "system issues"....  Smiley Embarassed

0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

lol :-)
0 Kudos
BT747474
Tuning in
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

UK: In March 2015 there were 73 pages about owners complaining about not receiving Lollipop 5.0 for the Moto G 2nd Gen. XT1068 2014 on Motorola's Official Website dated to about the 6th September 2014.

Motorola admitted that they knew about the consistent rumors that people claimed that Motorola stated that consumers in the UK would be getting Lollipop 5.0 soon.

The official on behalf of Motorola was speechless, when I asked a simple question:

Since Motorola is now claiming that the rumors were false on the Official Forum why didn't for example the Motorola CEO, denied the rumors last year, at the time?

This is because if Motorola did deny it at the beginning there wouldn't have about 73 or 74 pages just for the Moto G 2nd Gen. XT1068 section, complaining that in the UK they still haven't officially received Lollipop 5.0.

I asked a simple question so why didn't Motorola CEO stated at the beginning that Motorola denied the rumors if the rumors were false?

The official was speechless!

Too many Motorola UK/Europe staff were contradicting each other about whether or not Lollipop 5 was actually available that was in March 2015 to me.

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/edc7501cc4

One reason why I will be buying Moto G 4G 2nd Gen. 2015, XT1072, because the software, and the hardware of the 2nd generation phones, admitted by one official who purchased a 1st generation phone that 2nd Gen. hardware, are superior than the first generation phones.

The firmware on the 2nd generation phones are also better than the 1st generation phones: 'High Hit Rate' (Computer Programming/Software Engineer jargon for efficiently written Computer Program/Application Software - The first priority for having a faster computer is to have a much Higher Hit Rate software, and secondly to have better hardware.

Motorola Moto 2nd Generation G and 4G phones should obtain Lollipop 5 much earlier than Motorola's 1st Generation phones, if 1st generation ever receives the upgrade.

Android M the next Operating System should be with us by the end of 2015 and maybe autumn 2015.

I think there maybe also Lollipop 5.2 somewhere in the world, which means is Virgin Media ready for Lollipop; 5.2 possibly Lollipop 5.3 and Android M 1.0?

'Google I/O' Symposium talked about some of the things that Android M the next generating Operating System will have.

You can search on Google or better inside www.youtube.co.uk

I would skip Lollipop 5.1, because it had at least one serious problem:
19/3/2015: Google Address Severe Memory Leak In Android 5.1 Lollipop:

http://hothardware.com/news/google-addresses-severe-memory-leak-in-android-51-lollipop

Motorola Upgrades:
https://forums.motorola.com/posts/edc7501cc4

0 Kudos