Menu
rover3
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Monthly data allowance gone in 1 hour?

I don't quite understand why my entire allowance (250MB and £2 more) has been used up in one hour when I only had my phone charging on my computer whilst browsing the internet. The only thing downloaded to my phone would have been an iTunes update. Any thoughts appreciated

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
J0hn
Super solver
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Monthly data allowance gone in 1 hour?

An iTunes update could have eaten 30 Mbps of your allowance on its own that's if it's the latest iOS 10 update. If browsing includes YouTube had vids it's not long there, your phone should be able to show you what's eaten the data

dont forget streaming still uses data not just downloads, uploading 30 photos is a huge chunk of 250 mb

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi rover3,

check the mobile data usage on your device.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

An iTunes update could have eaten 30 Mbps of your allowance on its own that's if it's the latest iOS 10 update. If browsing includes YouTube had vids it's not long there, your phone should be able to show you what's eaten the data

dont forget streaming still uses data not just downloads, uploading 30 photos is a huge chunk of 250 mb

0 Kudos
rover3
Joining in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Yes, I tried that, it just says current period 0 bytes, current period roaming 0 bytes

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Ok don't forget that if you leave mobile data switched on, emails, updates etc will use data daily with a 2£ charge, I'd switch off the data and only use wifi for the month
0 Kudos
rover3
Joining in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Yeah I understand that much (just) but what I don't get is that my allowance was used up in one hour when my phone was connected to my home computer which is unlimited and I was browsing on the computer not the phone. Even if I was downloading pictures from my phone wouldn't this be under my wifi?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi rover3,

presumably your phone is connected to your home WiFi when within range?

That is why I suggested that you check your device. I'm not familiar with iPhones but my android device is able to display the data usage (how much is used by what apps over a given period).

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

0 Kudos
rover3
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Alexkid,

Yeah my phone is always connected to wifi at home, in fact whenever I use it , it is in a wifi spot (work, pub or home!) I have had it for 1 and half years and never got anywhere near the usage allowance in one month, let alone one hour. I have switched off data roaming and mobile data as this seems very fishy to me, read something about tethering can use up a lot of allowance but still don't understand how when I am at home.

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Not helpful short term, when your bill is ready, you can see the data usage in detail and if there is a mismatch you then have the ammo for a refund.
0 Kudos
rover3
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Yeah, already checked that, it shows one batch of 150MB and then 250MB 30mins later but only describes it as internet, not sure whether it is worth the hassle of phoning India to debate the matter but I wonder how many people think like me and let the big companies get away with small amounts like this.

0 Kudos