Menu
Upton
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Moisture in phone.

Hi, this is my first post on here. I have always thought of Virgin as a brand you can trust, indeed I just took out my holiday insurance. and choose Virgin over other offers. I have flown with Virgin many times. I have used Virgin for my phone for several years. I suppose I have always thought of Virgin as a trustworthy brand probably because of the persona and involvement of R. Branson himself. Now I have, a totally different view, partly re-enforced by so many poor reviews on many web sites about customer service. Obviously R. Branson while in the Virgin Islands has taken his eye off the ball and his executives must be letting him down. I took a contract out a few weeks ago for an LGK8 , and to keep it short after about a week of use and harly any at that the first time I tried to fully charge it find it will not and just flashes the LG logo. Returned to Virgin for repair only to receive it back telling me there was moisture inside and it would not be repaired under warranty. In a letter I received it STATED:- Liquid and moisture can damage internal parts of your phone, sometimes the damage isn't as obvious as dropping your phone in water or getting it wet in the rain. Steam from a bath or shower and sever changes in climate are common causes too. Crucially it continues,This isn't always visible to the eye and it might take several months to start effecting your phone. It's not always obvious until the phone has been examined by one of our technicians. The letter should have had an attached photo showing the moisture and area, but was not attached.  When I phoned customer services I was fobbed off with comments like, standing near a kettle, even in your hand bag it could get moisture, (a mobile phone you cannot put in your handbag) In the short time I had this phone it was not exposed to steam or moisture, no bathroom use, sauna, steamy kitchen, it was in my handbag some of the time. No wonder the web sites are getting so many negative reviews. Of course I am not leaving it here, the Consumer protection act 2105 should give me some recourse or at  least the ombudsman, but should I have to spend my time doing this? The phone was made in China, which when transported through severe changes in climatic conditions could have got moisture in, which as the statement says, could take several months to show up. Anyone else had similar experience?

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Moisture in phone.

Whilst I understand your concern, water damage is never covered by the gtee, it may be covered by insurance.

the phone has moisture indicators that turn red from their normal white when the slightest amount of moisture is detected.

Sadly you'll find that Virgin will not change their mind on this.

0 Kudos
jamesofmerton
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

house insurance may do it. ex wife put her mobile in the washing machine with the bed sheets, obviously had to pay the excess,. but yes no guarantee will 'pay out' or repair due to water or moisture damage. not just virgin.

0 Kudos
Upton
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that, the indicator in the phone when returned is WHITE, they also never included the photo that they said was attached, and have not forwarded it as promised. The Consumer protection act suggests strongly it is up to the retailer to prove the goods were Ok, not the consumer, so we'll see where that goes, as I am determined to take this as far as necessary as a matter of principle.

0 Kudos
Upton
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

The moisture indicator is white. Virgin said a photo was attached, it was not, promised to forward it to me, they have not, and it would need to show the serial number. This phone was not fit for purpose, Virgin cannot prove it was fit for purpose, under the consumer protection act they have the duty to prove it was not me. As I said the phone was not exposed to moisture in the week or so I was using it.

0 Kudos