Menu
gphill
Joining in
Message 1 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Mobile wouldn't work abroad

I wanted to use my virgin mobile abrioad for the first time. Checked with Customer service that roaming was activated before I went and they said it was. The automated system on 789 confirmed this. When i switched the phone on abroad it wouldn't connect either automatically or manually. When I selected a network it wouldn't register and I got the messgae " your sim card is not authorised". All the time it was switched on it said "emergency calls only".

Got back to Heathrow and the phone connected to Virgin straight away. Spoke to customer service who said there was no reason why it shouldn't have worked but refreshed roaming( including ee roaming) and guaranteed that it will work when I go abroad next time in june. Refused my request for consideration of a reduction in my monthly bill for the 15 days that I couldn't used the phone on the basis that I should have called them when I was overseas! Based on the fact that on average it takes me 10 minutes to navigate through the automated system to speak to Customer Service, it would have cost me about £40 to call from the hotel or by borrowing a friend's phone. Customer service said they would give consideration to paying for such a call but could not guarantee it.

Given that my roaming settings have been refreshed but are still of the same nature that they were before. I don't have 100% confidence that it will work when I next go abroad in June. My question is....What do I do if it doesn't?

Helpful Answers
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 27
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Mobile wouldn't work abroad

Hi gphill,

Welcome to the forums Smiley Happy

I'm really sorry that you had some trouble with roaming. We can make sure this is all sorted for you.

On our new online accounts for Mobile, roaming can now be turned on and off. All you'll need to do is go to plans and devices, Manage services, and roaming can be toggled on and off.

Let me know how you get on.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos

All Replies
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 27
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi gphill,

I'm really sorry that you had some trouble with roaming. We can make sure this is all sorted for you.

On our new online accounts for Mobile, roaming can now be turned on and off. All you'll need to do is go to plans and devices, Manage services, and roaming can be toggled on and off.

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos
gphill
Joining in
Message 3 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply. I'll let you know if it works next time

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 27
Flag for a moderator

No problem at all gphill Smiley Happy

I'm here if you need anything at all.

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos
newmike
Joining in
Message 5 of 27
Flag for a moderator

I've just returned from Italy where I encountered exactly the same problem as gphill - except earlier this year I used my mobile abroad without any difficulty in both Austria & Italy.

Whilst abroad I checked via my Virgin account that the Roaming toggle was correctly set.  For some reason it wasn't which I promptly corrected.    Phone is correctly set.  Still didn't work.  At some point I got a message re SIM card.  I keyed in the default PIN number which appeared to be accepted.  Still phone did not work.   Had a message to switch off wireless for part of this process and to go via web link on screen.  But obviously with wi-fi off it was impossible to connect to anything online.

Obviously I could not phone for help.  I am very concerned about this especially as gphill's question re what to do if it happens again was not answered.

I'm off abroad very shortly and a working mobile is going to be essential on this trip. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Hi Newmike,

I'm really sorry that you're having some problems with roaming. I want to make sure this is all sorted for you.

So we can ensure that voicemail is enabled correctly, give us a call on 789 or 0345 6000 789 and we'll make sure this is sorted.

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos
leede68
Joining in
Message 7 of 27
Flag for a moderator

I've just seen this thread. My Father had the same problem with a new phone last year in while on holiday. His contract phone wouldn't pick up a signal or allow calls but my Mothers PAYG on virgin did. We found it was the virgin app that was sent as part his free insurance....phone recovery i think that was causing the issued. When he deleted the app the phone worked fine. We spoke to virgin and they said they had no knowledge why this would happen. My feeling is that as the phone was out of the UK it went into lockdown as part of the anti theft.

0 Kudos
sully3164
Tuning in
Message 8 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Hi im in gran canaria at the moment tried everything phoned customer service 3 times no luck got in touch with my sister inlaw she tried for me no luck will not connect to any network .this dilemmer has cost me £1250 in lost business will be cancelling both mobile and landline when back .virgin didnt have the kindness to phone me back when i gave them the hotel number poor show virgin.
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sully3164,

Welcome to the forums.

I'm really sorry that you're having issues with roaming while in Gran Canaria. I want to get this all sorted for you.

Are you able to let me know what phone you're using so I can pass on some advice?

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos
sully3164
Tuning in
Message 10 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Samsung 4mini tried every thing poss virgin very poor gave them my hotel number never phoned back
0 Kudos