Menu
kpdchudleigh
Tuning in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Mobile signal suddenly poor

My phone has had zero/one bar signal for a week or more and I've missed urgent calls and messages. Clearly an issue somewhere as previously had good coverage at home but the call centre took me through searching for the network and restarting my phone (real rocket science stuff!) resulting in absolutely zero change telling me it was now sorted.

Seeing as I only received two out of the three follow up text messages I'd say this is still an epic fail. What to do? End my 15+ years of loyal custom?

I've checked and should get great coverage (as many years of service prove) and there are no declared service issues in my area.  Please can anyone help?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Mobile signal suddenly poor

Hi kpdchudleigh,

did you use the EE service checker to look when you say "there are no declared service issues in my area"?

Are you able to ask friends/family/neighbours at your address if they too are suffering from a loss of service, particularly if they use the EE network.

If it is happening to more than just yourself I would recommend that you call customer services again and suggest others do the same to get the fault reported and investigated.

If it turns out by asking around that it is only yourself suffering then at least that narrows it down to a fault with your phone or SIM which you may then be able to resolve.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

Superuser1718.png
0 Kudos
enlli
Super solver
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Is this just in your home location?  Assume you have checked Here

0 Kudos
kpdchudleigh
Tuning in
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the replies.  The EE service checker is what I've used and it shows no issues locally.  The poor quality signal seems to apply only in my home.

My neighbours aren't with EE or Virgin but haven't noticed problems with their providers.

0 Kudos
kpdchudleigh
Tuning in
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Still looking for help with this.  Missed three urgent calls today and an important text message.  Does anyone from Virgin check in here?  I will need to cancel my package if this is not resolved asap.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi kpdchudleigh,

this forum largely for customers to offer help and advice to one another.

However it is monitored by Virgin staff who respond where necessary, generally to posts in date order so it may take a couple of days.

Given your problem, I would advise calling Virgin Mobile customer services again (free) on 789 if you have a signal.
Or 0345 6000 789 from any other phone (standard rate call or included in any minutes).

Explain your problem and that you've already called but things are still no better and see if they can offer any other help.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

Superuser1718.png
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi kpdchudleigh,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. Sorry to hear your phone signal has suddenly become poor these past few weeks. Let's see if we can get to the bottom of it.

If the poor signal only occurs in your home, and it was previously fine, then this suggests that something has changed. You say the EE checker shows no faults so it's anyone's guess what it could be.

If the signal is poor in all areas then I'd be looking at a replacement SIM card like AlexKid suggested. Could you please answer the following questions:-

Are you saying the signal improves greatly when you're away from your home?

What's your postcode?

Have you called the team back since posting?

What was the outcome of the call?

Please keep me updated.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
kpdchudleigh
Tuning in
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rich_B, thanks for your helpful reply.  

When I say my signal is only reduced in my home I am not totally sure as due to health problems that's where I spend 90% of my time.  On the occasions I've been out I haven't noticed a problem nor has one been brought to my attention by others saying they tried to make contact.  Sorry to be vague.

I have noticed that if I go upstairs but remaining at the front of my house the signal greatly improves.  Could something in my home be suddenly causing an issue?

I contacted Virgin to cancel my contract on Thursday but ended up speaking to the tech people who said there were a couple of masts with issues in the area, most significantly one ten miles away.  He said there was nothing he could do.  This was strange though as he also pointed out the A38 corridor is well served with good coverage and I could throw a stone from my front door and hit the passing cars so the problem ten miles away seems a red herring to me.

I visited the local EE store on Saturday and they showed me I should have great coverage inside and out.  There are three local masts two of which were branded T Mobile and one Orange.  They suggested Virgin may be using the Orange mast which is not updated rather than the well maintained T Mobile ones?

So I'm no further forward and am actively looking for an alternate provider who can guarantee a service.  Such a shame after 15 years with Virgin almost entirely problem free.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi kpdchudleigh

Sorry for the delay in getting back in touch with you.

I just wanted to check if there's been any progress on this since you last messaged us?

If not, just pop another message over and we'll take a closer look for you.

Many thanks

Mark Y
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
kpdchudleigh
Tuning in
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Nothing new and if it weren't for the fact I go on holiday shortly and will be using a different phone for a while then I'd already have cancelled my Virgin sim.  I miss multiple calls and texts daily and my daughter had the same issue when visiting also on a Virgin sim so it's not just my phone.  What changed after years of great reception?

0 Kudos