Menu
Sammy612
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Mobile service abroad

Hi, I have recently changed my contract to virgin and I'm currently abroad in Spain for 2 months. I was told that my phone would work over here, however upon arrival I have 'no service'....this means I cannot call virgin to get it fixed. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Mobile service abroad

Hi Sammy612,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. Two months in Spain sounds amazing, I'm sorry that your service isn't working as it should. It's great to see that @AlexKid has been able to give you excellent advice about checking your settings on your account. Is your service working now?

If you are still experiencing problems with your mobile service, please let me know so that I can look into this. I'll send you a private message requesting further details. Just check the envelope icon at the top right of this page.

Kind regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sammy612,

have you tried doing a manual search for network in the phones settings?

When you say "recently changed my contract to virgin".  Are you a new Virgin Mobile customer?

(Pay monthly customers need to have been with Virgin Mobile for more than 3 months to use roaming).

Who told you that your phone would work? Did you call customer services whilst still in the UK to have it activated?

(For Pay Monthly customers roaming is off by default).

You can turn/check that it's on by loging into your Virgin Mobile account

Click on  the "Plan and device" tab and go to "Manage my services".

Set "Roaming" to ON & "International call barring" needs to be set to OFF.

If necessary make a change by moving the "switch" in your account.
(Click the other side of the rectangle box).

After changing the settings, allow time for your account to update then reboot your phone.
(Virgin advise that this update may take upto 24 hours or longer from abroad to come into effect).

Often though it is much sooner. Periodically turn the phone off/on to see if it finds and selects a network.

As first stated, you may have to go into the phone's settings and do a manual search for network.

Also check that roaming is enabled on the handset itself.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Sammy612,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. Two months in Spain sounds amazing, I'm sorry that your service isn't working as it should. It's great to see that @AlexKid has been able to give you excellent advice about checking your settings on your account. Is your service working now?

If you are still experiencing problems with your mobile service, please let me know so that I can look into this. I'll send you a private message requesting further details. Just check the envelope icon at the top right of this page.

Kind regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help