Menu
jimmyringo
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Mobile repair issue

Hi,

My Lumia 735 stopped reading the sim a few weeks ago.Tried the sim in a friends phone and worked fine so obviously the sim reader isn't working.

Contacted Virgin,phone is still in warranty so removed battery & sim as advised and posted it back on June 1st.Heard nothing from Virgin since,and contacted them several times.

Rang yesterday and was told that the repair team had decided there was physical damage to the reader so it wouldn't be fixed under warranty.I have never dropped the phone,or even taken the back off or sim out so i don't understand how it can have been physically damaged by me.From reading other posts,it seems Virgin do this quite a lot.

Also,my phone was bought "As New" so is it possible there was damage already done to the phone previously,so this shouldnt affect my warranty.Pretty disgusted with Virgins handling of this whole episode.

Was told they would ring me at 9 this morning,but as usual,i didn't get a call.

Not sure where i stand.

0 Kudos
jimmyringo
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Mobile repair issue

So Virgin still didn't contact me as promised (in the 2 weeks since my phone was sent for repair,Virgin did not contact me once) so i had to ring to see what was happening.They insist there is physical damage to the simreader and say i can pay £96 (yes that's £96)  to have it repaired as they won't stand over the warranty.I know i didn't damage the sim reader,i didnt even touch it.Told them to return my phone.I've just bought a 2nd hand one on ebay for half the price and will be leaving virgin (Mobile,broadband,tv & phone) as soon as my contracts end.This has left a very bitter taste.After over 10 years as a customer,the one time i have a problem and they treat me awfully in every regard.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi jimmyringo,

I have responded to your original post about this here: Mobile Repair Tracking.

Thanks,

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
jimmyringo
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

By the time you replied,the phone had already been returned ,still not working,and virgin in the whole process never contacted me once.All communication was started by myself.

Reading other posts,it appears that Virgin rarely stand over their warranties.My phone was only 10 months old,never dropped or damaged in any way,never opened since putting the sim card in,yet Virgin says there was "physical damage" and that i would have to take their word for this.I ended up having to buy myself a new phone,although my phone that i bought from Virgin was within warranty.WHAT A CON!!!.

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Now you have it back it may be worth taking it to a phone repair shop and see what they say. Very hard to damage the SIM reader on modern phones

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi jimmyringo

Thanks for taking the time to let us know about this, sorry the outcome wasn't as wanted.

We'll be here should you need any assistance moving forward.

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Kevin13
Settling in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I got my son a Samsung A3 on a 2 year contract in February this year, and 2 weeks ago the phone stopped charging. I called Virgin and was told the phone was still under warranty and they would repair the phone under the warranty.

I sent the phone to them and today got a call telling me that Virgin would charge £96 to repair the phone. When asked why they could not repair it under the warranty, as advised on my phone call, the lady told me I could send it to Samsung to see if they would repair it or pay the charge.

Absolutely disgusted with this complete lack of customer service. 

Last time I had an issue with Virgin I had to start following Richard Branson on twitter and send him a tweet to get any action. 

So can anyone else advise why a phone covered by a warranty cannot be repaired under that warranty? 

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kevin13,

Thank you for your post, 

I have replied to you in another thread you have created, in the nature of keeping everything in one place can you reply to me here?

Many thanks.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos