Menu
Jingleman
Up to speed
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Mobile number 'half-ported'!!

I signed up with Virgin Mobile online and paid my initial £5 top-up, PAYG SIM received with Virgin Mobile number.

Having obtained the PAC from my previous provider I give this to Virgin Mobile, I am told port will take place the next day, though text message received saying it's happening on the day of my call.

When I dial out from my mobile using VM SIM the receiving call sees my number as the newly ported number. But that's where the good news stops.

If a call is made to my ported number, it goes straight through to Post Office Mobile Voicemail. To prove the point I put my old Post Office SIM in my phone and if my ported number is called it is then answered i.e. on the Post Office Mobile network using my old Post Office Mobile SIM Smiley Mad

Another issue is that when I logon to my Virgin Mobile account it shows my initial Virgin number, but my balance has been reduced to nil. If I try and 'add' my alleged ported number I get an error saying the number is not on the Virgin Mobile Network.

Tried contacting Post Office Mobile, but they say "the porting process is always led by the receiving network" and they can't help.

3 calls to Virgin Mobile and I don't actually seem to be getting anywhere Smiley Frustrated

When case is picked up by  Forum Team member (i'm not phoning again) I can provide: PAC, Account Number, Mobile Numbers etc.

Thanks

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Benjamin666
Just joined
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Mobile number 'half-ported'!!

This is technically known as a 'split service'. I had the same thing when I ported from Giffgaff to Vodafone last year.

The Virgin team will need to coordinate with the Post Office team to make sure the record is fully updated on both systems.

It's a simple job that takes minutes, although with Vodafone it took nearly 3 weeks to get them to listen to me and do the simple thing required to make it happen.

I figured this out on day 2 with a little googleing, but I spoke to series of unqualified script monkeys over the course of 3 weeks, all of who refused to go off script until I happened to get one who knew that what I was saying was right. Hopefully Virgin are a little more responsive!

Good luck.

All Replies
Benjamin666
Just joined
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

This is technically known as a 'split service'. I had the same thing when I ported from Giffgaff to Vodafone last year.

The Virgin team will need to coordinate with the Post Office team to make sure the record is fully updated on both systems.

It's a simple job that takes minutes, although with Vodafone it took nearly 3 weeks to get them to listen to me and do the simple thing required to make it happen.

I figured this out on day 2 with a little googleing, but I spoke to series of unqualified script monkeys over the course of 3 weeks, all of who refused to go off script until I happened to get one who knew that what I was saying was right. Hopefully Virgin are a little more responsive!

Good luck.
Jingleman
Up to speed
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@Benjamin666

Thanks very much for that useful bit of information, I've now Googled a little more on the matter.

Virgin Mobile's overseas call centre staff don't seem equipped to deal with problems, only general enquiries Smiley Frustrated

I'll wait for a member of the Forum Team to pick-up who can then hopefully raise an Incident with MNP (Mobile Number Portability) in Reading about the ‘split Service’

Cheers

0 Kudos
Jingleman
Up to speed
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Well it took 9 days, but finally I now have my number successfully ported and working. I was also given a credit for the inconvenience.

For anyone else that suffers this issue, you just have to keep calling customer services and ask they speak to the 'Porting Team' to resolve.

0 Kudos
hdegeus
Joining in
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi all,

I now also have the issue of 'split service'.

Also extremely fed up with the Virgin support.  Keep telling me that the problem will be sorted out.

Nobody seems to want to resolve the issue, leaving customers such as I already wanting to leave Virgin.

Any further tips would be appreciated.

Regards

0 Kudos
Vicky_h
Tuning in
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I have this problem too - started on 13th July 2016 & I've had a week of issues so far along with promises it will be resolved within 24-48 hours & promises of compensation (I'm losing business as it is my business mobile & im self employed), but still no working number & Virgin customer service are less than helpful. I've just started my own thread in the hope someone from Virgin will pick it up. Needless to say, I'm not happy!!
0 Kudos
Vicky_h
Tuning in
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I have tried this approach today with no joy!!

Very unimpressed & I'm already 7 days without a mobile service. The off shore support is useless - I've just emailed the CEO in the hope he may do something. I'm at the end of my tether!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi hdegeus

I've responded to your other post on this here.

We'd be grateful if you didn't request support for the same issue across multiple threads as it can make it more difficult for us to assist you effectively and also impacts us helping out other customers.

Many thanks

Mark Y
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi Vicky_h

Welcome to the community Smiley Happy

I'm really sorry to hear about the issues you're having with your number port.

It's a few days since your last post on the boards - I just wanted to check in to see if this has been sorted now, or if I can still offer some assistance?

Many thanks

Mark Y
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Vicky_h
Tuning in
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mark,

It finally got sorted on Friday afternoon, but I'm waiting for an update on my complaint now. The Exec Team was supposed to get in touch after I contacted Tom Mockridge but I've not heard anything from them yet. If you can advise on that it would be appreciated.

Thanks Smiley Happy

0 Kudos