Menu
Queensally81
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Mobile data signal

I took my contract out over a year ago and have never been able to pick up a signal for data, I struggle to receive calls or texts although virgin coverage claims to be brilliant, I'm paying a lot for my services and I cant even use them, I want to cancel my contract and I've been made aware due to the services issues it's possible to be able to cancel without a cancellation fee etc which I have looked into.. How can I cancel the services without having all the grief and being persuaded to stay?
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Mobile data signal

Hi Queensally81

Thanks for you PM.

Looking into the coverage for your area, the 2G signal is reported as excellent which is what would generally be used for calls and texts, however the 3G is 'Low' so you would expect there to be a very limited data service if any (as you've reported).

As you say in your first message this was from when you first got the handset, it is unlikely we would allow you to be released from the contract at this point (as this is what the 14 day cooling off period is for), however it's certainly a conversation you can have with our disconnection team on 789 / 0345 600 0789 to see what we can do.

I have noticed that the 4G signal is stronger than the 3G though (although not by a massive amount), suggesting that you may get better performance with a 4G service.

We launched 4G on Virgin Media towards the end of last year. Does you current handset support 4G? (I can check if you let me know your model number if you're not sure) and have you chatted with the team to see if we can switch you to a 4G plan free of charge?

This is certainly worth looking into before you made a decision to leave us.

Many thanks

Mark Y
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Queensally81

Welcome to the community.

Sorry to hear about the issues you've been having with your service.

We would always consider allowing you to leave a contract penalty free if the service we're providing is significantly below what we would expect for our customers.

This would be a last resort though and we'd really want to work with you to try and resolve this issue first though.

Is the fault in one specific area, or everywhere you go?

Have you been able to test your SIM in another handset to rule out any fault with your phone itself?

Let me know how you get on.

Many thanks

Mark Y
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Queensally81
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I've tried it in 3 different phones and still got nothing, I have to travel 3 miles to get any sort of signal and I'm not prepared to pay for this service anymore
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for confirming this Queensally81.

It does sound like the area you live may just not have the best signal.

I've popped you a PM requesting some more information, so I can take a closer look into this.

When did you first start having issues as we offer a 14 day 'cooling off' period when you take out a new contract with us to ensure the signal is suitable before you commit to a minimum term?

Many thanks

Mark Y
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Queensally81

Thanks for you PM.

Looking into the coverage for your area, the 2G signal is reported as excellent which is what would generally be used for calls and texts, however the 3G is 'Low' so you would expect there to be a very limited data service if any (as you've reported).

As you say in your first message this was from when you first got the handset, it is unlikely we would allow you to be released from the contract at this point (as this is what the 14 day cooling off period is for), however it's certainly a conversation you can have with our disconnection team on 789 / 0345 600 0789 to see what we can do.

I have noticed that the 4G signal is stronger than the 3G though (although not by a massive amount), suggesting that you may get better performance with a 4G service.

We launched 4G on Virgin Media towards the end of last year. Does you current handset support 4G? (I can check if you let me know your model number if you're not sure) and have you chatted with the team to see if we can switch you to a 4G plan free of charge?

This is certainly worth looking into before you made a decision to leave us.

Many thanks

Mark Y
Forum Team

0 Kudos