Menu
wozza1000
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Mobile data signal but no internet

Hi

Two weeks ago I got my new phone ( Samsung Galaxy S5 Neo), but since I've had it I cannot get internet unless H+ is present on the display. I have H pretty much all the time, which I believe is better than 3G, so why no internet. If I try to load a web page while H is present the browser just hangs and when I move and get H+ the page loads instantly.

On my old phone I used to see H, H+, G, 3G. On this phone I only ever see H which doesn't work at all or H+ which is instant.

Also quite often SMS' fail even though I have full signal and H on the display.

Any help please, its driving me mad.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Mobile data signal but no internet

Hi Wozza1000,

Welcome to the forums Smiley Happy

I'm really sorry that you're having trouble with signal on your phone. I want to get this all sorted for you.

Can you let me know if you get the problem in more than one area or is it localized?

Let me know as soon as you can.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
wozza1000
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mat

This happens everywhere. I either have,   nothing on the display = no internet (fare enough as there's no data signal)

H on the display          = no internet

H+ on the display        = instant internet

Am I right in thinking H is slightly faster than 3G, so surely I should still be able to access to internet? But I get absolutely nothing.

Quite often I do have H+ and everything is fine, but anywhere I drop to H I lose my internet connection.

Also how come I have yet to see 4G on my phone, as I apparently live and work in a 4G covered area?

Thanks for your help

wozza

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

wozza1000 wrote:

Also how come I have yet to see 4G on my phone, as I apparently live and work in a 4G covered area?

Thanks for your help

wozza

Simple answer Virgin do not have 4G apart from some business accounts

0 Kudos
wozza1000
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

OK, I've done a bit of research and been testing my phone.

I've double checked my APN settings and everything is correct.

My Network mode is WCDMA/GSM (3G/2G), I switched from LTE/WCDMA/GSM (4G/3G/2G) as I now know virgin don't support 4G, but nothings changed.

If I switch to GSM only (2G) I get an E on the display and my internet works, albeit slowly.

I've studied my phone to see what is happening...  I have H on the display pretty much all the time. If I try to access the internet or send an SMS one of two things happen. Either it instantly changes to H+ and everything works fine, or annoyingly it stays as H and I have no internet or the SMS fails.

So the problem is with the H (HSDPA/3.5G) signal, H+ (HSDPA+/3.75G) works fine and the lesser signals ie. E (EDGE/2.5G) work fine. But as the phone is set to automatically select a network mode, it obviously will not drop down to a slower signal, if it thinks it has a faster one. Trouble is, it's not working.

Any help please. If I don't get this sorted by Friday, I think I'll send the phone back as faulty, I'm not going to keep paying for a new phone and data plan that 80% of the time is useless.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply wozza1000 Smiley Happy

So we can look into this for you, are you able to try your sim in another phone? We want to determine where the fault lies.

Let me know as soon as you can.

Thanks,
Mat

0 Kudos
wozza1000
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Sorry its been a while. I've been away. I haven't got access to another virgin phone that takes the same size Sim, so can't try that.

I rang virgin support today, and got some muppet who told me, I can only get internet services on H+ and nothing else ?! Had a massive argument with him, asked him how it is then I get internet on E and G. He said H+ is 3G ,H is nothing, when I told him that H+ is faster than 3G and that the signals go G E 3G H H+ 4G and they all work except H, he said I was mistaken... Unbelievable, where do they find these "Technical Advisors"?!!

Anyway after speaking to his manager, she has agreed to send a new sim card to try, and if that doesn't solve the problem we'll know its the phone and get that looked at.

I'll let you know how I get on.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to me Wozza1000 Smiley Happy

Please let me know how you get on. I'm here if you need anything at all.

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos
Shaf
Joining in
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I have the same issue.  I have a Samsung Galaxy S5. At work or at home, whilst it is on H+ all is fine, I have Data. If it is on H or drops from H+,. It just kills my data connection, until it goes back to H+ I do not get a data.

I have the unlimited data sim, but struggle to connect most of the time as it has dropped to 'H'

Any help or advice will we appreciated on this, as ive tried everything I can think off.

0 Kudos
wozza1000
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi Shaf

At last someone is experiencing the same problem as me. Bad news though, I still haven't found an answer to the problem. I've changed the sim, sent the phone back to Virgin (they re-flashed the firmware, ran diagnostics & said it was fixed) and I've sent it back to Samsung (they re-flashed the firmware, ran diagnostics & said it was fixed). Needless to say, it hasn't been fixed. To be honest they're all a bunch of clowns, I've spoken to more than 10 people over the phone and sent a detailed written statement of the issue both times, and no one has yet thought to check exact problem. Samsung even sent it back with a letter saying they'd replaced my faulty screen.... there was nothing wrong with it!!! I'm losing the will to live!

I've searched for hours on the net, looking for answer, to no avail. But from what I've read, I'm thinking its an issue with the latest firmware or its compatibility with Virgin. I found a post from 2011 on another forum regarding an SII that includes a statement sent from Samsung, that says "The problem is, when you are just using the phone as "a phone" it idles on a 3G connection to save battery and when you initiate a data connection it flicks on to the higher connection protocols for better speed. What is supposed to happen when you initiate the data connection is the phone checks for H+ connection, then for H and then finally 3G. For some reason if you are in an area without H+ the phone gets hung up for too long attempting to initiate the H+ connection and refuses to drop back to H. Also, even if it does give up on H+ it then has an issue with falling back to 3G. Resulting in the problem that if it cant get H+ you get absolutely nothing." This sounds like the exact problem we are having, and as this statement is from 2011 it looks like an on going issue with newer firmware updates. Trying to explain this to Samsung or Virgin though, is like banging your head up the wall.

Another thing I read says that you can dial a service code on your phone to switch off H+ and H to try and work around the problem, but it doesn't work on my phone. But you could give it a try, and let me know. Dial  *#301279#  and you should get a menu that allows you to turn off H+ completely forcing it to start the data connections on H

I hope you have more luck than me, I'm about to send my phone back to Virgin again, and I've told them if they don't sort it this time, I want a new, different phone. Or I'll be cancelling my direct debit, and moving to another network. I'm not going to pay hundreds of pounds for a phone that I have to walk around waving in the air for 5 minutes in the hope I may be able to access the internet.

0 Kudos