Menu
jameswimbledon
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Mobile data really not up to the job

I'm looking for other providers, but would rather just stay put if I can get an improved service.

My data won't allow websites to load fully limiting what I can do and the speed I can do it. In fact, it's unworkable for a professional, but perhaps there are ways to improve the speed?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Mobile data really not up to the job

Hi jameswimbledon,

could you have fallen foul of Virgin's "acceptable use policy".

Once you have used 3.5GB the service becomes throttled by Virgin until the end of the calendar month:
http://store.virginmedia.com/the-legal-stuff/our-service.html#12

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

jameswimbledon
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. I need a new provider. 3.5 GB doesn't do much in the UK.  I managed to get a whole lot more use for my data in the USA.   I suspect data usage is over estimated/logged by Virgin given how quickly is slows down.  

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
wonkotsane
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Virgin is a virtual provider on EE's network with, it would appear, separate roaming agreements with Orange and T-Mobile that results in a far from seamless experience. They also only have 3G and there are issues with handsets trying to autonegotiate 4G/3G/2G with the advice from Virgin being to change your phone's settings to 3G rather than auto. I don't know the terms of Virgin's deal with EE but I imagine the connection speed is capped. Being on a virtual provider gives you an extra layer of complexity to go wrong - not only do you have to rely on EE's infrastructure and systems but also Virgin's systems layered over the top.

Personally I use Three. I get unlimited data, 4G pretty much everywhere and VoLTE is being rolled out which is going to be a big battery saver. They're not without their problems but I like the fact that they don't blatantly lie to you when you tell them there's a problem.

Massage an ego, click the kudos button. If someone answers your question, mark it as helpful.
Be nice, eat all your vegetables and keep your room tidy.
jameswimbledon
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Cheers. I'll look into Three. Virgin is cheaper but the service isn't so good.

0 Kudos