Menu
duncanmp
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Mobile broadband throttling?

Hi

I've got the unlimited data plan, but my mobile broadband speed has dropped to 0.2Mb/s, which is making any phone use pretty frustrating at the moment. Is this because I've gone over some arbitrary limit and my connection is being throttled, or is there a general issue?

Obviously if throttling is in place then I can save myself a few quid a month by dropping to a "lower" plan, since this is pretty unusable.

Cheers,

D

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Mobile broadband throttling?

There is a capping in place and kicks in when you reach 3.5gig, this is measured over a calendar month and will reset the 1st of next month (tomorrow).
---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.

All Replies
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

There is a capping in place and kicks in when you reach 3.5gig, this is measured over a calendar month and will reset the 1st of next month (tomorrow).
---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
duncanmp
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the clarification. In that case I may as well go down to the 3GB plan and save £5, since I don't see the point in paying for the extra 0.5GB!

D

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Bear in mind that you've actually used that extra half gig. If you go to a lower plan, it will be over your allowance so if you use 3.5 GB you'll pay for the extra.
0 Kudos
duncanmp
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Yes, I'm aware of that and I'll just have to be a bit more attentive next month. My next monthly cycle doesn't start for a couple of weeks anyway, so I'll monitor usage more after it starts.

Honestly, I find it bizarre that the usage is throttled to that extent so soon after 3GB. Essentially, after you hit the 3.5GB limit it allows a bit of light web browsing and not much more, so not really what I was paying for when I upgraded to that plan.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

You think it's bizarre, I think it's mis-selling or misrepresentation. Virgin sell multiple plans with more than 3.5gb allowance, but neglect to tell the customer that mobile data is effectively unusable after that threshold has been crossed.
duncanmp
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Well, yes, it's an extremely poor show, frankly. The truth is, most months I don't hit the limit anyway, it was just useful to have. Now that I know it's worthless I can save £60 a year, not that it'll make a lot of difference to Virgin.
0 Kudos