Menu
MobileUser24449
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Mobile bill shows a charge of 40p for picture message not sent. Why the charge?

I've just seen my mobile phone bill online and I see that I've been charged 40p extra for a picture message. I make a point of *not* sending picture messages. So why have I been charged this extra amount?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Mobile bill shows a charge of 40p for picture message not sent. Why the charge?

You get charged for MMS messages. They may be incorrectly labelled as picture messages on the bill.

There are many reasons that a text message might get turned into MMS. Sending it to too many people, making it too long, including graphics such as emoticons which are not part of the standard set, sending a file format such as vCard or including a photo/video.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Mobile bill shows a charge of 40p for picture message not sent. Why the charge?

Hi MobileUser24449,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

I can see Gorf has given you some advice around this already.

As Gorf has advised nowadays mobile phones convert some texts into MMS. This can result in the charge you are seeing.

Here is a link to a previous thread about sending smiley's which explains a bit around MMS. This maybe of interest to you.

If you'd like to query this with our mobile team please call 789 or alternatively on 0345 6000 789.

If you need anything just get back to us.

Speak soon

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
MobileUser24449
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply, but none of the reasons you mentioned apply to me. The phone in question is really only used as a little computer and is not used for sending text messages or making phone calls. I have, however, used this phone to access "Line" - though not very often - and used the little pictures and smileys there when sending messages. But I don't see how I could be charged for this. To me the 40p looks like an error - and not for the first time - by Virgin. I assume that 'error' is the right word to use.  

0 Kudos
whenthecatsaway
Dialled in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If you have an android phone and send an emoticon/smiley this will automatically change to an MMS message. 

The only other option to carry on sending smileys and not be charged would be to use a 3rd Party app like WhatsApp etc. 

Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

MobileUser24449 wrote:

...I have, however, used this phone to access "Line" - though not very often - and used the little pictures and smileys there when sending messages...

Can you expand a little more on what you mean by 'access "Line"'? It's not something I'm familiar with.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

whenthecatsaway wrote:

If you have an android phone and send an emoticon/smiley this will automatically change to an MMS message. 

This isn't true.

Android phones have a small set of icons that are parsed from text send within the message. If you send an emoticon that you get from another source, you are basically attaching a picture to your message, so it needs to be sent as MMS in those circumstances.

0 Kudos
MobileUser24449
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

"Line" is a social network. An application has to be used. Wikipedia explains all - of course! 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_(application)

It's very, very popular in Japan (and also in South Korea.) Actually, it's rather good :-)

0 Kudos