Menu
BrashJerk
Dialled in
Message 31 of 64
Flag for a moderator

Re: Mobile Phone Roaming Data Not Working Abroad

I completely agree. Thanks to Samuelos the staff are now responding super fast on this forum today. The CEO and their PR guy (who implied customers were to blame for not knowing they needed to turn on data roaming their accounts) still need wheeled out and given a dressing-down in public to account for what has been going on previously. I tried myself to get someone to look at what was going on here but it fell on deaf ears. I think BBC Watchdog or some other consumer related people need to investigate and make it known loud and clear how incompetent the management of Virgin Mobile are.

encoderX
Up to speed
Message 32 of 64
Flag for a moderator

Even more astounding is 'If you want to activate roaming before 3 months, we may ask you to pay a £50 deposit before we'll enable roaming.' Haha For what exactly? 🙄
RobinAdrian
Tuning in
Message 33 of 64
Flag for a moderator

I've posted a request to BBC Watchdog to investigate, with a link to this thread. I suggest everyone here does the same.

encoderX
Up to speed
Message 34 of 64
Flag for a moderator

Any progress on an answer regarding 'you may ask for a £50 deposit to activate roaming' from us 'valuable' VirginMedia/Mobile customers. Thanks.
0 Kudos
sma20
Tuning in
Message 35 of 64
Flag for a moderator

I've just sent my concerns to Watchdog too. What a shambles.

arl73
Joining in
Message 36 of 64
Flag for a moderator

Just had a very similar experience on a family holiday in Portugal - 4th time this has happened now on 2 different phones and 2 different SIM cards.

I spoke to Virgin before I went and was assured everything was good to go. Spent about an hour speating to 3 separate people on the help line on Sunday before being told that the Tech Team would look at it on Monday and inform me when it was fixed. The subsequent silence from Virgin was deafening!

In the meantime,  I implemented fallback arrangements and got on with my holiday instead of wasting more time learning new techniques that failed to fix the problem.

One daughter was the same phone as me on Tesco and the other has a Virgin SIM with a different phone. Data worked fine for both of them, so problem is clearly with my Virgin account. Now scanning the market...

0 Kudos
Samuelos
Up to speed
Message 37 of 64
Flag for a moderator

How many customers will virgin mobile lose due to shoddy data roaming after this summer...I need data roaming as I am abroad a good part of the year, if they can't meet such a basic thing such as this then it will get much worse for them.

And I hope everyone is submitting claims for any loss of £ and service due their incompetence. Don't let them get away with it.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 38 of 64
Flag for a moderator

Hi encoderX,

This is normal process for new customers, in which we require 3 consecutive payments on the account in order for roaming services to be available and noted on our Help & Support website here: Before You Go.

Thanks,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 39 of 64
Flag for a moderator

Hi RobinAdrian,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having a problem with your roaming service. If you have verified that your handset and APN settings are correct and would like for us to check this for you again, please send me a private message by clicking this link: PM me here and send the following details:

• Full name on the account
  • Mobile number
  • screenshot of your APN settings

Kind Regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 40 of 64
Flag for a moderator

Hi sma20,

Thanks for your post on the Community Forum and welcome. I'm sorry that you're having a problem with your data roaming service. If you're a Pay Monthly customer, roaming can be activated once you’ve been with us for 3 months. If you want to activate roaming before 3 months, we may ask you to pay a £50 deposit before we'll enable roaming (Before You Go).

Please verify that your data roaming setting on your mobile is enabled and that your APN settings are correct as noted on this post: Roaming - FAQs  or you can find your handset on our following website to have the configuration settings for mobile internet sent to your phone:  Online Send Phone Settings. If your handset isn’t on this list, you will need to manually reset the APN settings.

Also have a look at the following online Help & Support Page: Roaming Hub if you have access to WiFi.

If you are still having an issue with this, If you are still having an issue with this, please send me a private message by clicking this link: PM me here and send the following details:

• Full name on the account
  • Mobile number
  • Screenshot of your APN settings

Kind Regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

0 Kudos