Menu
RyanKDY
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Mobile Phone On Holiday Advice

Hey Everyone,

I'm looking for specific advice on using a VIP Contract phone in Bulgaria (EU) while on holiday. My wife wishes to take her phone so she can use it with her Snapchat & Instagram, but I'm weary about bills on top of the fee we pay for the VIP services.

I plan on purchasing the Hotel WIFI when there for use and not use any phone data. How would I go about this? Will the phones try to connect aps to the local internet and charge us? can these be switched off before disembarking from plane? Is it best not to turn them on in Bulgaria?

Sorry, I'm a little clueless on how it works and being cautious before we go.

Thank you in advance.

Ryan

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Mobile Phone On Holiday Advice

Hi Ryan,

if you disable (turn off) mobile data on your wife's handset then it will only be able to use WIFI when available.

You don't say what phone you have but it will likely be: Settings > Data Connection/Mobile Data

Or on most android phones you just have to slide your finger down from the top and it'll be in the drop down menu.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

RyanKDY
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Ah perfect, I will check that out! We both have the Samsung S5 at the moment. She will be chuffed! Smiley Very Happy

Massive thanks! If I encounter any problems, I will post here. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Just check roaming is set up before you leave, you can do that using the online account or by ringing 789 from the phone and checking via the automated service :-)

EDIT: that's if your wife would like calls and texts to work while out there.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
Enceladus1
Superfast
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Or could be Settings>Wireless & networks>Mobile networks>Data roaming. Switch the Data Roaming to 'off''.

Mobile data will work in the UK but not when roaming abroad. WiFi will work wherever you connect the phone to an access point, in your case the hotel in Bulgaria.

0 Kudos