Menu
Jacqui_P
Tuning in
Message 1 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Mobile Network Coverage

I have called for some Tech Support today for my mobile, as keep getting "emergency calls only".  This has increased in last 2 weeks so suspected maybe works in area.  However, told no works and network coverage is poor in my area, even though I am just 2 miles from Wolverhampton City Centre.  I asked to speak to Technical, but they refused to speak to me.  Then I was told that I could cancel my contract but keep paying for my handset.  When I was eventually put through to the Contract department (65 mins later), I was told I could cancel my contract.  But I do not want to cancel my contract as other providers are more expensive.  I just want to speak to someone who can help resolve the network issues.  Think I would have more chance of getting to speak to the Queen!!  Not happy!!!

0 Kudos
japitts
Well-informed
Message 2 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Re: Mobile Network Coverage

I'm assuming you're aware that Virgin Mobile uses the EE network for it's coverage, so (customer service issues aside) what you need to know is whether EE have any coverage issues in your area. Apart from asking anyone who uses EE/Orange/T-Mobile if they have coverage, have you checked the EE status checker for your postcode?

http://ee.co.uk/ee-and-me/network/4gee/network-status-checker - Virgin Mobile may have a similar page.

I'd be most surprised if EE had a "no coverage" fault in such an urban area, but you never know.

0 Kudos
Jacqui_P
Tuning in
Message 3 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your comment. I have checked the coverage in my area and know its an issue with the EE mast, its been on going for months. But as a Virgin Customer I am unable to speak to EE direct and would expect Virgin to do this on my behalf as my contract is with Virgin and they are my provider. Unfortunately they do not seem to be willing to do this.
0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 24
Flag for a moderator

In this case Virgin are completely at the mercy of EE.  Also, EE it seems are fully aware of the fault and there must be a good reason why it has not been fixed. Virgin will not be able to speak to EE on your behalf to hurry things along.

Virgin have offered to cancel your contract, which if you have been with them more than 14 days they are not obliged to do.

I fail to see what else they can do.

Jacqui_P
Tuning in
Message 5 of 24
Flag for a moderator

I fully agree that Virgin are not obliged to offer me a cancellation.  But cant understand why they are unable to speak to EE.  Virgin are paying EE to provide network service, so why shouldn't they be able to discuss Network Issues. EE would not speak to me direct, as I am not one of there customers.  Don't think its unreasonable to ask Virgin to do this

0 Kudos
japitts
Well-informed
Message 6 of 24
Flag for a moderator

As poor-a-show as this may be on Virgin's part, if you want to have a "direct" route to the network provider in situations like this, then you really should contract "directly" with said network provider - in other words, I would see this as an inherent issue with using an MVNO.

Mind, I'm slightly surprised for EE to have a "total outage" in such an area - and I dare say it's highly inconvenient for them and won't be without valid reason.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jacqui_P,

Welcome to the forums Smiley Happy

I'm sorry that you're having some issues with signal in your area. So I can look into this for you, are you able to let me know your full postcode?

Let me know as soon as you can.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 24
Flag for a moderator

How are you getting on with this Jacqui_P?

Let me know if you need anything at all.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Jacqui_P
Tuning in
Message 9 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Got told via Customer Service, as Technical refused to speak directly to me on two occasions, that there is nothing that can be done as our area is in a so called "blackspot".  So unfortunately, after being a Virgin Customer for 15+ years, I am having to cancel my contracts and try else where.  Its a shame, as in over 15 years of being with Virgin I have never had such poor service as these last 2 weeks.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 24
Flag for a moderator

I am genuinely puzzled. You have been made an offer (twice) by Mat_H of the VM Forum Team to look into this for you and check coverage against your postcode. Instead you have decided to cancel. I'd have taken up Mat_H's offer like a shot. Still no accounting for taste.

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.