Menu
hansi
Superfast
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Mobile Internet use

I've just had a look at my usage on the mobile website (that's the bit that IS still workiing) and I see lots of "Using the Internet" entries, when I am in fact using wifi and not mobile data. Should I be turning off Mobile data on my phone when I'm using wifi, as I was given to believe that using wifi does not impact on my allowance.

0 Kudos
tkdfan
Up to speed
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Mobile Internet use

hansi wrote:

I've just had a look at my usage on the mobile website (that's the bit that IS still workiing) and I see lots of "Using the Internet" entries, when I am in fact using wifi and not mobile data. Should I be turning off Mobile data on my phone when I'm using wifi, as I was given to believe that using wifi does not impact on my allowance.

If you're connected to Wifi you shouldn't need to turn off mobile data as the phone should be 'ignoring' the mobile data whilst it's on Wifi.

It does make you wonder exactly what VM have done to their systems?

0 Kudos
hansi
Superfast
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Well, I've switched my mobile data off, and I'll check again this afternoon. I will report further after that.

0 Kudos
hansi
Superfast
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Just checked again, and no further usage now that I've switched mobile data off. But I shouldn't have to do that, and incidentally, my phone  minutes are shown as unlimited and they're not! As i said earlier, you couldn't make this up! Only VM have messed it up! Oh, and I wanted to check my wife's usage but, yes, you've guessed it, I can't see her phone and I can't re-register it with a new email address. Priceless!

0 Kudos
jhuk
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Turning your Mobile Data OFF or even the lesser Background DATA will stop a lot of Apps working inc Google log in and Google Store etc.

Your WIFI should take 99.9% of the bandwidth with the Mobile DATA side only sending a few small Kb/s that these Apps require.

I only know this as I tried it last night while setting my phone up after a factory wipe.

0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Just about every smartphone will still use a bit of data while connected to a WiFi, as long as you have the "update over WiFi only" setting on, the usage should be very small and not anything to worry about (unless you do not have any data allowance).  If data usage is still high, you'll need to find what app is still eating the data up.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
hansi
Superfast
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I agree they are all small pieces of data apart from one on 30th April which is 2.81mb. Don't know what that have been for?

0 Kudos
jhuk
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Your phones system menu for DATA or Apps may show you what each App is using.

If not there are Apps to do so.

EDIT: In Android it is in DATA Usage menu and you can change menu options to see both DATA and WIFI next to each other and each App and its bandwidth used in a list.

0 Kudos