Menu
Bang
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Mobile Email log-off

My email has been hi-jacked and I have, as advised by Virgin, set log-off after 10 minutes and set new password. My home computer switches off, but my mobile email does not. Is there any way I can log out of email on my mobile or pre-set an automatic log-off?.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Mobile Email log-off

That would depend on your phone and the email app you are using.

However, I would have thought that if you switch your phone off, reset your password on Virgin, and then switch your phone back on, it should require the new password to work.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

An email app needs to retain the connection details, password and username to connect to an account. Otherwise you'd be constantly adding and removing the account every 10 minutes. It's not like accessing the webmail through a web browser.  You can set your email app to manually sync with the account (rather than the default automatic periodic check) so that it won't automatically connect up periodically. It would check the email when you chose to load the app or force a resync.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
Wrock
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

What are the symptoms which are causing you to know that your email account has been hacked, Bang?

There are approximately 320 known cases of Virgin Media account holders who are struggling with these peculiar chronic symptoms:

• A full list of all email addresses have been extracted from the accounts at some point in the past. The complete address list is alphabetized by display name.
  • Spam is then sent to those addresses.  The number of recipients per spam message has varied over time. This week each of the spam messages has five recipients.
  • The spam has your from address attached and is sent by an international botnet of computers around the world. The message ID, from addresses, and IP address of the sending server are falsified.
  • Since some of these messages are recognized as spam and sent to addresses which no longer exist, you receive large numbers of bounceback messages for the portion of the spam which cannot be delivered, even though these are messages you did not send.
  • The spam is sent in waves, typically spaced several weeks apart and does not let up apart from the lulls between episodes.
  • The spammers never use your account itself to send any messages. They just make use of your good name and contacts.

Maybe you too have a case like this? The fallout makes it very difficult to continue to operate the account.  Since the people receiving the spam are friends, family, and professional colleagues of the person affected, it is an extremely destructive and embarrassing problem.

-Wrock.

0 Kudos

All Replies
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

That would depend on your phone and the email app you are using.

However, I would have thought that if you switch your phone off, reset your password on Virgin, and then switch your phone back on, it should require the new password to work.

0 Kudos
Bang
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, enlli

I've been doing that but I thought there may be an easier way.

Do you know of an email app that would do what I want?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

An email app needs to retain the connection details, password and username to connect to an account. Otherwise you'd be constantly adding and removing the account every 10 minutes. It's not like accessing the webmail through a web browser.  You can set your email app to manually sync with the account (rather than the default automatic periodic check) so that it won't automatically connect up periodically. It would check the email when you chose to load the app or force a resync.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
Bang
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, I'll try that to see if it thwarts the hackers.

0 Kudos
Wrock
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

What are the symptoms which are causing you to know that your email account has been hacked, Bang?

There are approximately 320 known cases of Virgin Media account holders who are struggling with these peculiar chronic symptoms:

• A full list of all email addresses have been extracted from the accounts at some point in the past. The complete address list is alphabetized by display name.
  • Spam is then sent to those addresses.  The number of recipients per spam message has varied over time. This week each of the spam messages has five recipients.
  • The spam has your from address attached and is sent by an international botnet of computers around the world. The message ID, from addresses, and IP address of the sending server are falsified.
  • Since some of these messages are recognized as spam and sent to addresses which no longer exist, you receive large numbers of bounceback messages for the portion of the spam which cannot be delivered, even though these are messages you did not send.
  • The spam is sent in waves, typically spaced several weeks apart and does not let up apart from the lulls between episodes.
  • The spammers never use your account itself to send any messages. They just make use of your good name and contacts.

Maybe you too have a case like this? The fallout makes it very difficult to continue to operate the account.  Since the people receiving the spam are friends, family, and professional colleagues of the person affected, it is an extremely destructive and embarrassing problem.

-Wrock.

0 Kudos
Bang
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that, Wrock

You've listed everything that happens to me on my account.

Would you suggest changing my email address and notifying my contact list to block any mail from my old account?

Bang

0 Kudos
Wrock
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Would you suggest changing my email address and notifying my contact list to block any mail from my old account?

I am sorry to hear that my diagnosis is correct.  Yes, indeed, while it may seem like a drastic measure, I would suggest beginning to use a new email address with two-step verification turned on immediately, and asking your correspondents to block any mail from the old account.  They may also want to forward examples of the spam to the United States Federal Trade Commission at spam@uce.gov, an organization which is taking legal action against a similar spam operation.

You can read more about this pernicious problem here:

http://wardinewrock.blogspot.com/2015/09/email-sent-under-my-name-not-from-me.html

Some cases of this problem affecting Virgin Media accounts began in September and October 2015.  How long has your account had the problem?

Here are a number of other reports from other Virgin Media customers:

http://wardinewrock.blogspot.com/2016/05/virgin-media-spoofing.html

There are users of TalkTalk accounts who also have this problem, as well as customers of a number of other email providers around the world.  It is not a problem specific to Virgin Media.

-Wrock.

0 Kudos
Bang
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Much appreciated, Wrock.

Thank you

Bang

0 Kudos